Saturday, December 10, 2016

I Made Macaroni in a Crock Pot & Everything Turned Out Ok

If you've been following me for awhile, you might have noticed that even though I hate cooking, every winter I get the sudden urge to do ALL THE THINGS with my crock pot. This year was no different. In the past most of my crock pot dishes didn't turn out very well, but I've learned a bit from my mistakes and this year was determined to actually find a recipe I both liked and tasted good. My mom is big on using her crock pot and sent me a few recipes to try. One of them was for macaroni and cheese! What?! I love mac and cheese, but making it in a crock pot didn't sound like a great idea. One year I tried doing spaghetti in the crock pot and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever made (in both looks and taste). I swear it transmuted itself into a monster. To this day Andrew and I call it The Spaghetti Crock Pot Fiasco of 2014. So when he wasn't sold on the idea of me putting noodles in the crock pot again, I wasn't exactly surprised. Still wanted to give it a try though, as this recipe was both mom and lil brother approved.


First, I had to go shopping. Compared to other macaroni recipes I've tried (and by that I mean, either throwing a brick of Velveeta in noodles, or Kraft macaroni) this had a lot of ingredients. Since I don't cook much, my cabinets and fridge are never very full, aside from the things I eat on a super regular basis. I'm trying to work on that, and maybe someday I can just decide I want a certain food and then MAKE IT because WOW I already have the ingredients (much adult, very grownup)!! Anyway, I got the ingredients and the following night we tried it out. After you boil the noodles you mostly just throw the rest of the stuff in the crock pot, leave it for 2 hours, and you're good to go.

crock pot macaroni and cheese

It turned out great! I was so, so happy. 50% because I love macaroni, 50% so Andrew would stop doubting any crock pot recipe with noodles. The picture doesn't look great, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I still don't know how to make food pictures not look weird. (Food bloggers, help me out.) I wrote the recipe below...but if you're dairy sensitive then tread with caution. It's VERY CHEESY. I think next time I might even add some extra noodles to even it out a bit. If you try this out be sure to let me know how you like it :)

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups elbow pasta (although like I said, I think I will add extra next time)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Boil elbow pasta in water for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In saucepan on medium-low, melt butter and grated cheese together. Stir until cheese melts.
3. In crock pot, stir together melted cheese, sour cream, cheese soup, salt, milk, dry mustard, and pepper. Add in the noodles and stir again.
4. Cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally as it cooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment