Sunday, September 18, 2016

Summer Reading Round Up - Part 3

If you'd like to read Part 1 or Part 2 click here and here! Or if you don't feel like it I'll take a sec to recap :P This summer I took on the Summer Book Bingo hosted by My Life as a Teacup! If you've never played a book bingo, it's pretty simple. The bingo card will have a different type/genre of book in each square. Read the book in that square and you get to cross it off. Five books in a row makes a bingo! We started sometime in June, and ended on August 31st. In that time I was able to make 3 bingo's! Here's the third (and final) card I completed. Originally I planned to throw all the cards into one post, but then the Part 1 post got too long so here we are :P

Summer Book Bingo

Contemporary lit: When Life Hands you a Lemon, by Mike Hansen. This book was not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be! It's about this guy, Dan, who is taken hostage and he has to "confront his fears" and all that. But for a book about being taken hostage, it progresses really slow. A large part of the book focuses on Dan's personal struggles; he suffers from anxiety, among other things. I don't want to belittle anyone's problems (I have anxiety myself), but I just didn't connect with this. I can't really give you any examples without spoiling the story, though! Sorry :P
Rating: 👽 (1 sad alien)

Read in a day: Saga vol. 6, by  Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. As always, Saga is the best. If you haven't started this series yet, stop reading this post and go get it!!! I ended up reading this volume in a day, because when I ordered it from the library I didn't realize I already read the first couple issues from it on my e-reader...months ago >_>
Rating: 👽👽👽👽👽 (5 aliens)

Non-Fiction: The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray: A Critical Appreciation of the World's Finest Actor, by Robert Schnakenberg. If you're a huge Murray fan, or just want to learn more about him, you'll really enjoy this book. This book goes through the A to Z life of Bill Murray (like an encyclopedia). The format is interesting at first, but doesn't make it easy to reference later on if you're just interested in certain parts. For example all the parts of Bill Murray's early life are not grouped together. There's a lot of talk about his work in Wes Anderson movies, but they are not grouped together either. So the whole book flows a little weird when it's talking about one subject, to a different subject, then back to the first subject again.
Rating: 👽👽👽 (3 aliens)

Book you've been meaning to read: Funny Girl, by Nick Hornby. Nick Hornby is another one of my favorite authors! I've been wanting to read this book but I had some issues getting it from the library. It's set in the 1960's and is about a girl obsessed with I Love Lucy and wants to be a sitcom comedian. It wasn't my favorite of Hornby's books, but I still enjoyed it. His strength has always been writing strong characters (whether they're good people or not), and this book was just another example of that.
Rating: 👽👽👽👽 (4 aliens)

Graphic novel: Rat Queens vol. 3, by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Tamra Bonvillain and Tess Fowler. This volume was not as great as the first two, so that was a bummer. The art has also changed; and while I don't dislike it, having to get used to it was a little distracting. As for the story, that was a little lackluster as well. The gang is going through some struggles right now, and the story has always been at its best when the girls are working together as a team. I hope this arc wraps up in the next volume so the girls can start liking each other again :P
Rating: 👽👽👽 (3 aliens)

No comments:

Post a Comment