Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Summer Reading Round Up - Part 2

If you'd like to read Part 1 click here! If you don't feel like it I'll take a sec to recap. This summer I took on the Summer Book Bingo hosted by My Life as a Teacup! If you've never played a book bingo, it's pretty simple. The bingo card will have a different type/genre of book in each square. Read the book in that square and you get to cross it off. Five books in a row makes a bingo! We started sometime in June, and ended on August 31st. In that time I was able to make 3 bingo's! Here's the second card I completed. Originally I planned to throw all the cards into one post, but then Part 1 got too long so here we are :P

Summer Book Bingo Snorlax Plush

New release: My Best Friend's Exorcism, by Grady Hendrix. I loved this book! Grady Hendrix is also the author of Horrorstor, which I loved as well (and reviewed here). I was really excited to pick up his next book. It takes place in the 80's and is about best friend duo, Abby and Gretchen. After a strange night at their friends house, Gretchen is possessed by a demon, but Abby is the only one that believes it. It's like a fun mash up of Mean Girls and The Exorcist. Shortly after I read this, Grady Hendrix did a livestream on the Quirk Books Facebook page, where he talked about the book and shared some stuff about witchcraft and demonology from the 80's (he did a LOT of research!). At the end there was a giveaway and I won a copy of Horrorstor and some My Best Friend's Exorcism stickers!!! I haven't figured out where I want to use them yet, but I really like them. They have pink unicorns and pentagrams :O
Rating: 👽👽👽👽 (4 aliens)

Neil Gaiman: The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains, by Neil Gaiman (duh) and Eddie Campbell. Hate to say it, but I was bored with this book. It's formatted as an adult picture book. I always love when adult books have pictures (and in this case, paintings), but I wasn't feeling them in this book. Just not my style, I guess. It's about a man and the guide he hires to take him up the mountains. That's about all I can say without spoiling anything! I guess that's why I couldn't find a book synopsis to post here :P
Rating: 👽👽 (2 aliens)

Read in a day: Stuff Every Geek Should Know, by Quirk Books. This is a collection of short essays, all written by Quirk Books authors and bloggers. It's not very long but was fun. Some of the essays included How to Photograph Your Books for Instagram, How to Find Friends Who Share Your Geek Passions, and Seven Awesome Female Heroes That Every Comic Book Geek Should Know About.
Rating: 👽👽👽 (3 aliens)

Mystery/Thriller: A Study in Charlotte, by Brittany Cavallaro. We can add this to the list of YA books I don't hate. I didn't love it, but it wasn't awful and was an enjoyable, easy read. It's basically a genderbent Sherlock Holmes reboot. Charlotte is the great-great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes, Jamie is the great-great-great-grandson of John Watson, and they end up at a boarding school together. A student at the school is murdered, and Charlotte and Jamie are being framed for it so they work together to get to the bottom of things. Charlotte has inherited the detective skills along with the moody and grumpy temper. Jamie's kind of boring, to be honest. I like mysteries, so that part of the book was fun. There's very minimal romance, but there is some. Argh. Is it too much to ask to have a boy and girl as main characters and NOT have them fall in love?? Oh well.
Rating: 👽👽👽 (3 aliens)

This post is a bit shorter than the last, because I used the free space on my bingo card this time! Heheh. Part 3 coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment