Friday, April 1, 2016

Weirdathon Update: The Stepford Wives

For my final Month-Long Weirdathon read, I picked up the classic, The Stepford Wives, by Ira Levin. If reading more classics has been one of your goals but you find most of them hard to get though, I really recommend this! Easiest book I've read in a long time, and you can finish it in a day or two. I know it isn't March anymore so technically the Weirdathon is already over, but I did finish this book during March so I wanted to wrap up with one final post anyway ;)

"For Joanna, her husband, Walter, and their children, the move to beautiful Stepford seems almost too good to be true. It is. For behind the town's idyllic facade lies a terrible secret -- a secret so shattering that no one who encounters it will ever be the same.

At once a masterpiece of psychological suspense and a savage commentary on a media-driven society that values the pursuit of youth and beauty at all costs, The Stepford Wives is a novel so frightening in its final implications that the title itself has earned a place in the American lexicon." - Goodreads

The Stepford Wives

What's weird about it?
Something's going on in Stepford, and it's slowly turning all the women into domestic, husband pleasing zombies (not actual zombies, but you get it), and Joanne and her friend Bobbie are the only ones that seem to notice (or ARE THEY?!).

Other weird thoughts?
Honestly, the one major thought that kept coming back into my mind while reading this was how not scary it is. While the premise is definitely unsettling, I didn't find the book scary at all (just weird, which is ok because that's what we were going for anyway). I guess I was just a little disappointed because everyone was like "OooooOoooOoooohhh so spooky!" I was more angry at all the husbands in the book, rather than scared. After finishing the book I watched the 1975 movie for comparison. The movie has more thriller elements to it, but at the cost of sacrificing what ACTUALLY happened in the book. But I guess that's a chat for another day.

Weirdness on a scale of 1 - 10?
Probably around a 6. I imagine when it was published in the 70's it was a lot more weird and shocking, but reading it in 2016 it felt really dated.

So that's a wrap! Thanks for talking about weird books with me, and thanks to Julianne, writer of Outlandish Lit for putting this together! Even though I was only able to read three books for the challenge I had a lot of fun, and thanks to everyone else that participated I've added a LOT of weird books to my TBR list! Maybe we can do it again next year? Winkwinknudgenudge.


No comments:

Post a Comment