Friday, April 8, 2016

Firewatch!


Firewatch

Last month I played through the game Firewatch, a first-person adventure developed by Campo Santo, a studio that's only an hour or so away from me! The trailer really sucked me in with the interesting character dialogue and pretty graphics. I'm not usually one for first person games (they tend to give me a headache), but I knew I wanted to play this game! I didn't even get a headache, hahah. Luckily your movements don't have to be super fast paced, which I think helped. All the pictures below are my own screenshots!



"The year is 1989. You are a man named Henry who has retreated from his messy life to work as a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness. Perched high atop a mountain, it’s your job to look for smoke and keep the wilderness safe. An especially hot, dry summer has everyone on edge. Your supervisor Delilah is available to you at all times over a small, handheld radio—your only contact with the world you've left behind. But when something strange draws you out of your lookout tower and into the forest, you’ll explore a wild and unknown environment, facing questions and making choices that can build or destroy the only meaningful relationship you have."

Firewatch screenshot

While Firewatch isn't a horror or thriller game, I found myself getting a little spooked quite a few times. Aside from your friend Delilah who you're only able to contact through radio, you spend the game alone. For the most part the woods are quiet, so whenever I'd hear a sudden noise or see a rustling bush I'd jump! "What was that?! Is someone here? Show Yourselves!" I've always been skittish.

Firewatch screenshot
In this scene there were flower petals floating in the wind, but I wasn't able to capture that >:(

Firewatch screenshot

While there's definitely a lot of scenery to take in and places to explore, Firewatch is more of a mystery game about the people involved (that you don't actually see or meet), rather than a rugged outdoor adventure. It's kind of hard to explain much about the story without giving away spoilers. I didn't know much about the story before playing, and I think that really enhanced the experience.

Firewatch screenshot

The only thing that really bugged me about this game was the amount of time I spent getting lost. That isn't really a fault of the game itself, they provide you with a compass and map. But all the paths aren't clearly defined so it's easy to accidentally lose your way. I guess I'm just as bad with directions in game as I am in real life :(

Firewatch screenshot
That one time I got lost for an hour because I was greedy and decided to look for a random supply drop rather than stay on track to Jonesy Lake.

Firewatch screenshot

Firewatch screenshot

The final picture is of my pride and joy, Turt Reynolds. In the game you have the chance to find your own pet turtle and are given a few different name options to choose from. He doesn't really do much except look hella cute, though. I mean, look at that smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment