Saturday, March 19, 2016

Weirdathon Update: Through the Woods

Happy Saturday! I hope you're all having a great weekend :) This weeks Month-Long Weirdathon pick is another graphic novel! It wasn't intentional. I already had the book checked out from the library, but it turned out to be not was I expected (also weirder than I expected), so it turned into a Weirdathon book! I'll try to make next weeks book different. Anyway, Through the Woods is a collection of short stories, written and illustrated by Emily Carroll!

'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'
Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss. These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll. Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there... - Goodreads


I picked this up on a whim. I saw it on the shelf at the library and liked the cover, so into my bag it went. Because of the title I thought it was just a collection of darkly illustrated fairy tales or something, but they're actually original stories by Mrs. Carroll herself.

What's weird about it?
Mysterious abductions, eerie singing coming from the walls, communicating with spirits, and creepy worm face monsters.

Other Weird Thoughts?
The creepy artwork (primarily in red, black and white) plays a big part in all the stories. I mean, the stories are weird and creepy on their own. but don't tell me you don't find this slightly unsettling:


Weirdness on a scale of 1 - 10?
This was more spooky than weird, so maybe like a 6...with the exception of the final story, "The Nesting Place," being an 8. That one was my favorite! The illustrations throughout the whole book are definitely weird, though!

You can read one of the stories in the book, His Face All Red, for free on Emily Carroll's website! If you're into it there's lots of other goodies on her site, too :)


No comments:

Post a Comment