Saturday, March 12, 2016

Weirdathon Update: Sex Criminals

FYI: While this isn't really a NSFW post (like, no nudies or anything, hahah) we're still talking about a series with super sonic sex powers, so you've been warned.

My first readings for the Month-Long Weirdathon may not seem that weird, seeing as it's an incredibly popular comic book series that pretty much all my friends have already read. But even if you've already read it then you have to admit that this series is weird, ok?! So, this week I read volume 1 and 2 of Sex Criminals, by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky.

"Suzie’s just a regular gal with an irregular gift: when she has sex, she stops time. One day she meets Jon and it turns out he has the same ability. And sooner or later they get around to using their gifts to do what we’d ALL do: rob a couple banks. A bawdy and brazen sex comedy for comics begins here!" - Image Comics


What's weird about it?
The story is based on Suzie and Jon's ability to STOP TIME every time they have sex?!

Other weird thoughts?
I don't normally read things so heavy with sexual content. I don't think I'm a huge prude, but I might have felt myself blushing a few times while reading this. I'm kind of torn, because I'm all for sex positivity and all that, I'm just not really interested in stories that are SEX SEX SEX all the time. To be clear, our protagonists don't spend every page having sex (they also rob banks!), but even when they're not getting it on there's still an overall "sex" theme hovering over the whole story.

Weirdness on a scale of 1 - 10? 
Maybe like a 6. While it was pretty weird, I've read much weirder. When you're reading books specifically because you're looking for something weird, it's hard not to compare them to other weird books you've already read (I'm a big Harlan Ellison fan, so...)


No comments:

Post a Comment