Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Book of Mormon!

Hi friends~! Last year my mom got tickets for her, my little brother and I to see The Book of Mormon in Sacramento, and we'd been anxiously awaiting it ever since. It's a musical written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park! I'm a big South Park fan, so the idea of two of my favorite things (on of my fav shows + musicals) coming together was really exciting for me! The day finally arrived on March 18th, so I thought it'd be fun to share some pictures of our night with you :) They were all taken either inside, or outside when it was already dark - so please excuse the poor lighting!! Darn, yellow street lights!

We found this giant Book of Mormon truck outside the theatre and had to have a mini photo shoot!

The Book of Mormon is about Elder Price, a young Morman that's sent to Uganda for his two year mission. He's a little bummed, because he thought if he prayed enough he'd get to spend his two year mission in Orlando, home of Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. Instead he's going to a third world country with Elder Cunningham - an insecure, geeky, compulsive liar who hasn't even read the Book of Mormon.

As they arrive in Uganda, their suitcases are stolen by soldiers of the local warlord, General Butt F*cking Naked (I won't tell you why he has that name, but I swear I'm not making this up!) Shortly afterwards they're greeted by a group of villagers, where Elder Price learns he has quite the challenge ahead of him as all the villagers struggle with poverty, famine and AIDS. They try to cheer him up by teaching him the phrase "hasa diga eebowai," which translates into "f*ck you, God!" The horror!!! The villagers have no interest in learning about Mormonism, except for one young girl named Nabulungi, who thinks if she becomes a Mormon that her and her people can start a new life in Salt Lake City. But that's all I'm going to tell you about the story! I know we can't all go see the show, but I still really recommend checking out the soundtrack!

The man next to Jesse looks like Tony Hale, AKA Buster Funke??!

We all had a lot of fun and I laughed throughout the entire show, although sometimes you're sitting there like, "what the hell am I watching right now??!" Even though I watch a lot of South Park and am used to Trey Parker and Matt Stone's type of humor, I was still a little thrown off guard sometimes. A few times during the show they'd say something especially vulgar and I'd start laughing and suddenly think, "Wait, I can't believe they just said that! My mom and baby brother are sitting next to me!!!" I mean, he's far from a baby at this point, but when you remember someone being one day old it's hard to get past that sort of thing, I guess.

At intermission my mom and I headed straight to the merchandise booth. We're huge theatre-stuff junkies! When we saw Wicked in 2010 (woah it didn't feel that long ago until I went to go look up the date just now) we decided to wait until after the show to buy stuff, but when we went back after the show they had already packed everything up!! So we learned our lesson, and this time made sure to go at intermission. I made a Polyvore collage of what I got! It was easier than taking photos, hahah.


The shirt is a dolman style tshirt; I'm glad those are so popular right now because I always hated how most women's shirts are designed to be worn skin tight, which isn't the most forgiving style for us bigger ladies >_> The "hello" letters are filled with the doorbell from The Book of Mormon logo! The set of buttons I ended up getting because I only needed to spend $10 more to get the tote bag for free :P I love buttons, though! I added two pictures of the bag because it has a different image on each side. I'm obsessed with collecting purses and bags! I convinced my mom to surprise Jesse with these "I have maggots in my scrotum" boxers. That was his favorite line in the show ;)

After the show some of the elders came back onstage and told us about an organization called Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, a nonprofit that raises funds for AIDS-related causes across the United States. If you donated certain amounts you would receive various Book of Mormon/Broadway Cares merchandise in return. I wish I had realized before I bought all that other stuff, whoops >_< I was really interested in the cause, so the next day I looked them up and found out they have their own shop that donates the proceeds as well. I really love this Broadway Cares charm bracelet! It even has a Book of Mormon charm on it! You can also make a tax-deductible donation here :)

Couldn't reach the doorbell :(

I had so much fun and would definitely see it again if I had the chance. I find it so unfortunate that seeing "big" theatre productions is so expensive and not very accessible to so many of us. My mom was only able to get these tickets because her friend gets season tickets and we were able to purchase them through her! Since I work in a theatre obviously I see lots of the shows that go on THERE (and it's awesome, not gonna lie), but you know what I mean. I'd be at The San Francisco Orpheum every weekend if I could! In reality I've been there four times, which isn't much, but I'm always thankful for every opportunity to see ANY show, big or small. How do you feel about theatre? Have you seen any fun shows lately? The theatre I work at is currently putting on Jesus Christ Superstar, another show I love! So let's chat! Tell me what shows you like :)


No comments:

Post a Comment