Sunday, January 10, 2016

Bookish (and not-so Bookish) Thoughts #16

1. This year instead of making a specific reading list, I made a goal. ONE super easy, attainable goal: read more of the books I already own. I own SO MANY books I haven't read yet, it's embarrassing. I guess I just get distracted by new releases, things people recommend me, ARC's and all that. And I still plan to read those things in 2016...just not as much. One of the (many) reasons I made this goal is so I can (hopefully) start clearing off my shelves a bit. I'm running out of room for all my books. The shelves themselves are already full, and now I'm just accumulating stacks of books everywhere. Not cute. I'm hoping if I read more of what I already own then I can decide what's worth keeping and what's ok to donate. I hate parting with my books...even the ones I dislike, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

2. I went to see The Hateful Eight this week and absolutely LOVED it. I love Tarantino movies and I didn't read much about the synopsis before seeing it because I like being surprised. And I was! It was awesome. Sort of like a western "who done it" movie, where they're trapped in a cabin all night. I have this thing about movies about people trapped in places (wow, typing it out all of a sudden made me feel creepy about it - I'm not creepy!) There was only one part of the movie I didn't like, as it kinda made me feel gross...and it had nothing to do with all the blood. But I won't spoil anything =X

Hateful Eight Movie Poster
Also I really like this poster for it.

3. During the Steam Winter sale Andrew grabbed me a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend (it was only $1.99!). This was my first foray into the world of dating sim video games, and I have to admit that I really sucked at it. You play as  "...the only human student at the prestigious St. PigeoNation’s Institute, a school for talented birds! Roam the halls and find love in between classes as a sophomore student at the world’s greatest pigeon high school." I've had my eye on this game for awhile, mostly because it's a game about dating pigeons. In theory it sounds like a lot of fun, but in reality I lost patience with it after two days. There's just so much dialogue. SO MUCH DIALOGUE. Which I realize is normal for these type of games, but like I said, I'd never played one of these so I hadn't really thought about it. I guess I was hoping it was going to be a little more like a choose-your-own-adventure game; but it's more like just reading the story, with very few decisions sprinkled in. Either way, I still plan to log a few more hours into this game because both the endings I've gotten so far were pretty lackluster (one of them was because I didn't know what I was doing, the second was just bad luck I think).

Hatoful Boyfriend Punkgeon

4. I'm really excited that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is back! I love that show. Andrew and I watched the first episode yesterday, and it did not disappoint. With this and X-Files, it's just a really good month for TV. I'm sure there's other awesome things coming on this month as well, but I usually suck at keeping up with what's currently airing so you'll have to clue me in on the rest.

5. Speaking of X-Files, have you entered my giveaway yet? You could win a cute little pin, handmade by yours truly. I wear mine all the time so we could be twinsies (which, let's be honest, is the real prize). When I don't have it pinned to something plaid and flannel (because #FlannelFriday) I usually have it pinned to a scarf, because my cold neck is really into scarves right now.


6. I'm strongly reconsidering my blog layout, but I don't know what to do about it for a few different reasons. One of the things that's bugging me is that it feels a little too crowded, so toning down all the colors might help. Except I don't think I want just a plain white background because I feel like everyone in the universe has a plain white background right now. What's going to make my plain white background stand out? So while I decide on that I settled with widening the post part of my site, so there's more white and the blue is more of like a border. However the bigger issue is that even if I were to change my layout, I still suck at HTML and coding so I'd have no idea how to do what I wanted with it. Life is hard, friends.

Bookish (and not-so Bookish) Thoughts is hosted every Wednesday (meaning that I'm posting it late, d'oh) by Bookishly Boisterous :)



No comments:

Post a Comment