Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Year in Books

I'm really pleased with the amount of reading I accomplished in 2015. Towards the end of 2014, I remember looking at my bookshelves and realizing I hardly did any reading that year. I think it was, like, 10 books. I've always loved reading, so I didn't know what had happened. Was I too busy? Too lazy? Too distracted by Saints Row IV and World of Warcraft? While those are all good contributors, they're not good excuses; so I decided to make a reading goal of 50 books for 2015. It sounded like a lot (compared to 2014's 10 or so books, anyway) but I knew I could do it, because I used to do it all the time! Now I'm happy to report that I not only read my goal of fifty books, but I surpassed it by two books! Yay!

Anyway, today on Goodreads I found these little infographs made from the books you read during the year! I love that kind of stuff.


- So the 52 books I read amounted to 11,781 pages. Honestly, I expected a little more. I think this is because I read slowly, and just feel like it should amount to more considering the time I spent reading them. Ah, well. Reading is reading.

- The longest book I read was The Sweet Far Thing, by Libba Bray. This is the third book in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. I had read the first two books sometime during my teen years, and in 2015 I realized I'd never finished the series.

- The shortest book I read was The World Needs More Love Letters, by Hannah Brencher. If I had realized I'd be writing about this later, I probably wouldn't have added this book on Goodreads. Oops! Still a cute book. You can read my review on it here.

- The most popular book I read was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs. While this was a good book that I know is super popular, I was surprised that the winner wasn't The Martian, Fangirl, or The Night Circus. This is why reading stats is fun! You can read my review on Miss Peregrine's right here.

- The least popular book I read was Geek Anthropology of Loki's Army, by my buddy Pepi. Please note that this is not because it's a bad book (I gave it five stars!) - it just means that not enough people have read it yet! So I'm using this as a chance to shamelessly plug her work. If you're a fan of superheroes, comics, and being generally awesome, check out her blog! If you're a fan of the Thor/Loki-verse and being generally awesome, READ HER BOOK! You can read my review of her book here!

- My average rating for books was a 3.7. Yeah, I'm difficult.

Partially true.

I also read more comics in 2015 that I have, in...probably ever. I used to read a lot of manga (like a lot, eeek), but I'm not counting that. I'm talking about regular, issue-by-issue comics. I used to find them a little intimidating because there was just so much of everything, and I didn't know where to start. Not surprisingly, the answer was easy - start wherever the hell you want. Even though they're shorter than novels, I decided to let them count in my 50 book reading goal. The only rule was I couldn't count them until I'd read a full volumes worth. So for example, I didn't count issue #32 of Saga, because it's just one 30-or-so page comic and it's not released in a volume/book format yet. But I did count volumes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Saga, because each volume had 5 issues and it's a heftier read. So here's just a few of the series I tackled this year:

- Afterlife with Archie / Although it's taking so long for more issues to come out that I'm almost wishing I'd never started it. It's such a great series, waiting for more issues is torture! Review here.

- The X-Files: Season 10 / A MUST read for any X-Files fan! The art was sometimes a little inconsistent with this series (a personal pet peeve of mine, I'm trying to work on it), but the story is solid. The things that happen in the comics are considered canon for the whole series, but I recently read that the events might not line up with the new season airing later in January, because not enough people were reading the comics. So that's too bad :(

- Rat Queens / So many badass females in one comic, I love it! I might actually be a little behind on these. Time to go check...

- The Deadpool Killogy / A cool idea but an alright comic. I learned a lot more about Deadpool though, so I'm still glad I read it. Review here.

- Saga / I just finished this series, so I'll be writing about it more soon! I'm so obsessed with it right now @_@

Last January I also made a 2015 reading list, which wasn't about the number of books I'd read that year, but listing some of the specific books I wanted to read that year. It was a list of fourteen books. I read five of them. What is my problem? Hahahah. I was planning on writing a 2016 reading list, but now I'm a little embarrassed. Maybe I'll still do it.....I clearly love making lists.

Now for 2016 I'm trying to decide whether I want to make the goal larger (55? 60?) or keep it the same. I'm leaning towards keeping it the same. I don't really want to make it a game, I just want to make sure I keep reading, you know? Tell me your reading goals for 2016, or how you did with your 2015 reading! Happy New Year, friends!

Source: Quirk & Wilhelm Books


No comments:

Post a Comment