Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Bookish (and not-so Bookish) Thoughts #7

1. On Friday I finished reading Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, and it sucked. I thought it was going to be a book about books, then it felt like she was going more towards the grief memoir route, but really she's trying to do both and that just didn't work out. The main story is that the authors sister dies, and as a way to handle her grief she makes this project for herself where she'll read a book and review it every day for a year. Except she's too selfish and unbearable, so as much as losing a family member sucks, it's really hard to feel sorry for this woman. Ugh, now I sound like a jerk.

2. Now my current read is Etiquette and Espionage. This is the first steampunk book I've read! Which is weird because I think steampunk is really cool. Another steampunk book I want to read is Android Karenina. Oh! Thinking about all this steampunk stuff just made me realize that with my new computer I can finally try playing Bioshock! YEEESSSSSSS.

3. We're now in week two of The Blogger Book Drive, and so far our goal is 25% funded! You guys ROCK and this has been so exciting for me! Everyone that has donated and helped speard the word deserves 10,000 gold stars and if I could hug you right now I totally would. For now please accept this ghost hug!

Unless you think it's creepy, then you don't have to accept it.

4. Last Thursday I went to the circus for the first time! I got two free tickets at work, and even though I had some weird stomach bug that morning I decided to suck it up and go because the tickets were only good for that night and I was curious what it was all about. Since I'd never been to one before I can't really compare it to anything, but we had an interesting time. There weren't many animals (which I was ok with), but the ones they did have seemed happy and healthy. The only thing that REALLY bugged me was the constant schilling trying to get you to buy stupid balloons, light up toys and other crap. The show started almost FORTY FIVE minutes late - and I got the vibe that it was done on purpose so they could spend more time shouting trying to get you to buy stuff, but I don't know. Working in theatre I know starting late sometimes can't be helped, but the only reason you should start THAT late is if someone died or something equally terrible.

5. My favorite "mindless phone game" is 2048. I play it all the time, and surprisingly, I'm not bad at it. No one ever believes me, because I've always been terrible at math! Hahah. Last night I realized that the game has sound effects?! I don't know how it took me so long to find out. It makes these little pinging noises whenever you move a tile. It was cute for a couple minutes, then I had to turn the sound back off.

I'm only showing off a little bit.

6. So Aquaman Underoos are a thing now?! Too bad the Aquaman set is only in men's sizes :( Actually, they don't have any of the male hero themes in women's sizing. The women's sets are really cool too, though! But I mean...Aquaman!

7. I really enjoy writing these Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts posts, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should write them every other Wednesday, instead. Sometimes I feel like I'm grasping for things to say, because honestly the things I get up to every week are not always interesting. If I'm not working I'm usually reading books and blogs, playing video games, watching Netflix or singing to my pet turtle (sorry, I won't sing for you guys!). Obviously I do go out and do ~fun things~ sometimes, but for the most part I'm a homebody, hahah. So if you notice I've missed a Wednesday post, now you know why!

Bookish (and not-so Bookish) Thoughts is hosted every Wednesday by Bookisly Boisterous! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment