Monday, August 10, 2015

Book Quotes + Week 2 of The Blogger Book Drive!

Happy Monday, and welcome to week two of The Blogger Book Drive! The theme this week is your favorite book quotes! Finding a good quote is sometimes enough to convince me to pick up a book, so I can't wait to see what everyone's favorite quotes are! If you're new to the party, here's a little recap :)

This month, Amanda, Pam and I are running a virtual BOOK DRIVE! To go along with it we're also going to be posting about various book topics every Monday, with a link-up if others want to join in as well! Our opening topic was about our favorite children's books, which we thought was appropriate since we're raising money for children and all ;) You can check that out right here! Our goal is to raise $200 for First Book, an organization that provides books for kids in low-income families. The three of us would GREATLY appreciate it if you could help us spread the word, either by writing posts and linking up with us, or just a simple tweet! Thank you!!! If you'd like to donate, please visit our donation page, right here! So far our goal is 20% funded! I'd like to give a BIG thank you to Kayla, Ashlee, Amanda, and the two anonymous donors we had in our first week! You guys are the best!

Ok, now back to our topic...book quotes! Many of my favorite quotes come from Daniel Handler, AKA Lemony Snicket. Most of his books are technically for children, but I guess I just haven't outgrown them yet, hahah. His writing is often silly, while still pretty real and able to get you right in the feels. He also has a lot of great quotes about reading! For example this one; which isn't actually from one of his books, but it's about reading so I figured it can count anyway ;)

Lemony Snicket Quote
(Source)

Here's another quote, which he wrote in A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Slippery Slope. It's the 10th book in the series, and also one of my favorites. Books 9 - 13 are all probably my favorites, because by then the characters have grown so much and that's when you really start to get to the bottom of some of the mysteries in the story...sort of. Hahah.

Lemony Snicket Quote
Couldn't find the original source for this one! Are you there, artist?

While I could easily share Lemony Snicket quotes all day, here's a few other favorites - along with some notes about the books they come from!

“A strong woman who recklessly throws away her strength, she is worse than a weak woman who has never had any strength to throw away.” 
― Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles (One of my favorite classics! If you have trouble getting into classics, I find Thomas Hardy books very easy to read.)

“One could argue that most of the trouble in the world is caused by introspection.” 
― Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down (Definitely recommend if you're into dark comedies! This is my favorite book that deals with depression.)

“I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else.” 
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane (We all know Neil Gaiman is great.)

“The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don’t like can be overwhelming.” 
― Allie Brosh, Hyperbole and a Half (Hyperbole and a Half can always put me in a better mood! It's original format is a web comic, but she has a book out now so check that out if web comics aren't your thing.)

“Reread that Bronte book all you want, but Jane Eyre's never going to get gender-reassignment surgery or train to become a kick-ass ninja assassin.” 
― Chuck Palahniuk, Damned (I enjoyed this book, but do yourself a favor and skip the second book, Doomed!)

“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?” 
David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas (If you've been reading here for awhile then you already know my love for Cloud Atlas. I recommend it to everyone!)

“My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!” 
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dislike The Princess Bride! Although I've met some people that love the movie but haven't read the book because it's long. Don't be intimidated! The book is just as fun, if not more fun, than the movie!)

So tell us, what are your favorite book quotes? Comment or link up below! Next weeks theme is our favorite authors! I've had the same favorite authors for a few years now (what can I say, I like staying with my tried and true), but I'm looking forward to see what everyone else loves and I can add to my TBR list ;)

--------------------

An InLinkz Link-up

--------------------


--------------------

Psssssst!
As an extra thank you, Amanda has donated a $10 Starbucks gift card to give away to one lucky winner! I didn't write about this in the title because I wanted to keep it for people that care about the book drive, so you guys are special! Winkwink. Enter using the widget below! 


$10 Starbucks Gift Card

No comments:

Post a Comment