Monday, July 20, 2015

Tales from the Bookshelf: Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye

During Armchair BEA back in May, I was lucky enough to win an ARC of Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye, by Tania Del Rio! When you win a prize during ABEA, you get to pick from a long list of books that were kindly donated from the sponsors. You guys know I'm a sucker for Quirk Books, so it didn't take much thinking for me to decide which book I wanted ;)

Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye review

"Meet Warren the 13th, a cursed 12-year-old Victorian bellhop who’s terribly unlucky . . . yet perpetually optimistic, hard-working, and curious. Orphan Warren’s pride and joy is his family’s hotel, but he’s been miserable ever since his evil Aunt Anaconda took over the management. Anaconda believes a mysterious treasure known as the All-Seeing Eye is hidden somewhere on the grounds, and she’ll do anything to find it. If Warren wants to preserve his family’s legacy, he’ll need to find the treasure first—if the hotel’s many strange and wacky guests don’t beat him to it! This middle-grade adventure features gorgeous two-color illustrations on every page and a lavish two-column Victorian design that will pull young readers into a spooky and delightful mystery."

Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye review

The first thing that drew me into this book were the illustrations. I like the classic/creepy Victorian feel, but it's not dated and still looks tremendously fun. My favorite part of the cover was a tentacle poking out of a serving tray that Warren was holding; unfortunately that part didn't make it to the final cover design so it's not shown in the cover above! There are illustrations and fun typography throughout the whole book, which keeps it visually interesting and made reading it a fun experience. Since I received an early ARC of the book it didn't include ALL the illustrations just yet, but the first twenty-four pages were fully illustrated and I'm certain the rest of the book will look amazing!

Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye review

Warren isn't in the best situation; he has no parents, an evil aunt, pushover uncle, and is incredibly funny looking, yet he remains kind, positive and cheerful. He makes a perfect hero and leading character. That's why I was so excited to learn that this is going to be a SERIES! I can't wait to read what the next book will be about (especially considering how the first one ended)!

Warren the 13th is classified as a middle-grade book, but it's still very smart and interesting. I never felt that it was dumbed-down. It reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events books (which I LOVE), but, you know...less depressing. I can also picture it being made into a Tim Burton-esque claymation movie!

The author of Warren the 13th is Tania Del Rio, who I think is just as interesting as her book! She's worked with Archie Comics (!!!), Marvel, Dark Horse, and other badass companies! She wrote a popular webcomic called My Poorly Drawn Life, which is now available in book form. In 2003 she wrote a manga entry called Lovesketch, which was selected to be published in TOKYOPOP's Rising Stars of Manga Anthology, Volume 2! So basically she's everything ;)

Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye will be available in November, so keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment