Friday, June 26, 2015

Tales from the Bookshelf - Mini Reviews!

This month I've made a nice little dent in my Summer reading (even though the official first day of Summer was only a few days ago, but you get the idea). So far I've finished four books this month...which isn't a lot for some people, but for someone as busy and slow-reading as me it really feels like I'm on a roll. Anyway! Today I'm writing about two different books I read that I want to share with you! I wanted to write about them individually, but lately I'm having trouble finding time to write, and I just didn't want to wait that long to write about 'em! So here we go!


The first book I'm going to share is called Confidence: the Diary of an Invisible Girl, written by badass geek girl, Paige Lavoie. I "met" Paige in the Female Geek Bloggers group I participate in! The book reads as the diary of quiet, uber nerd Barbara (after Barbara Gordon, AKA Batgirl), who just wants to make it through high school without being too awkward. The journal style reminded me of the Amelia's Notebook series which I used to read ALL THE TIME. When Barbara literally runs into Cassie, the popular, geek-chic, queen of the AV club, they slowly become friends. Barbara is used to being a loner, but with her new pal she starts to come out of her shell while exploring various branches of fandom and making crazy new friends.

I think most girls will find a bit of Barbara in them ;) At first I was hesitant to read another YA novel, but Barb is so likable and relatable it's hard not to cheer her on. She's also a boss Rainbow Road in Mario Kart, so mad props to her. Confidence is a fun, lighthearted read, and with it's subtle geek humor thrown in made me audibly giggle more than once.

Confidence: The Diary of an Invisible Girl 

Title: Confidence: The Diary of an Invisible Girl
Author: Paige Lavoie
Genre: Young Adult
Published + Publisher: Independently published on June 9th, 2015
Pages: 254 pages (e-book)
Source: ARC courtesy of Paige Lavoie. Thanks girl! :) Grab your own copy on Amazon and don't forget to add it on Goodreads ;)
________

Next I want to talk about Lifestyles of the Rich and (In)famous, by Tierney Fowler. Think of it as a combination of Gossip Girl meets a Meg Cabot novel, and throw in a rock band for some extra fun. Our story opens with Nyx, recently out of high school, secretly in love with a brooding bass player, and not really sure where she's going in life. Her best friends make up the underground band Crashbang, who I imagined as something like Fall Out Boy circa 2005, but feel free to get creative with your choice. When Nyx unknowingly plays a significant role in getting the band signed with a huge label, things take an unexpected turn and she becomes an overnight sensation. It also has a few Zoolander references which is always a bonus.

Lifestyles isn't the type of book I normally read, but it was fast paced and really fun. You know how some books get a little dull halfway through, but you force yourself to keep reading because you need to know how it ends? Not the case here. It was just one thing after another, really keeping me sucked into the story - and before I knew it, it was over. While most of the book is written from the perspective of Nyx, there are various chapters throughout told from the perspective of other characters. I love when books are written like that, because I think it's interesting to hear another side of the story and to learn about characters in a different light. I can see this book being the start of a cool series, following Nyx along on her crazy adventures! Maybe someday? ;)

Lifestyles of the Rich and (In)famous

Title: Lifestyles of the Rich and (In)famous
Author: Tierney Fowler
Genre: New Adult
Published + Publisher: August 19th, 2014 by Spencer Hill Contemporary
Pages: 296 (e-book)
Source: Courtesy of the wonderful author :) Grab a copy on Amazon, and be sure to add it on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment