Friday, May 29, 2015

Armchair BEA - Book to Movie Adaptations

Armchair BEA
Today's ABEA banner is from Strupag! She even edited it to add my blog link at the bottom. How awesome is she?!

Welcome to day four! Today we're discussing book to movie adaptations. In the book world it can sometimes be a controversial topic. Like, how DARE they ruin my favorite book like that, or, that is NOT what that character's supposed to look/act/sound like! No matter how great the movie turns out to be, there's still always a fair amount of people 100% against it. Here's a few of my favorites!

A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby

This is one of my favorite books, and eight years later it was turned into a movie I really love. The movie does has a few differences from the book, but I didn't really mind because the overall story just translated so great to film. It's a story about depression, but it's awesome because it's a story about depression that isn't dreary and make you want to curl in a corner and think about how much life sucks. I mean, it's actually pretty funny. Also it stars Aaron Paul, who isn't hard to look at. (I'm a huge fan of all of Nick Hornby's writing, and another one of his books, About a Boy, was turned into a TV show last year. It's not my fav but it's still a fun watch!)

A Long Way Down Book to Movie

Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell

Another favorite book! I hate admitting it...but I didn't know about the book until I saw the trailer for the movie (this trailer, in fact). I was equally fascinated and confused by it, but I knew I had to see the movie and that before I did, I needed to read the book. So I did, and it was amazing. The general consensus is that this book is hard to read, and unfortunately they're not wrong. Because of that sometimes I feel like the movie is even better (in a way), because you don't feel the need to reread that last chapter to make sure you understand what's going on (true story). But don't let that discourage you! While I read the book I often referred back to this Cloud Atlas readalong guide and it helped so much.

Cloud Atlas book to movie

Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk 

Alright, unpopular opinion, but I think this movie is even BETTER than the book. I just feel like it flows better as a movie, and you can actually see how The Narrator changes throughout the story...and yes, I think the new ending is better, too! Even the author agrees. The original book ending makes you think, but it leaves everything so open ended. I know that's something a lot of other people enjoy, but I'm not really a fan,

Fight Club book to movie

Tomorrow we're writing mushy-gushy-we-all-love-each-other wrap up posts, so today's topic is the last one with an actual theme! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment