Friday, April 10, 2015

The World Needs More Love Letters

Lately I've been thinking a lot about snail mail.

When you're a kid, getting any kind of envelope addressed to you in the mail is SO. EXCITING. When you get older...not so much. Holidays aside and unless I'm expecting a package, most of my mail is either junk, a PG&E bill, or from some other place that wants my money. Lame. So I've been thinking about getting a pen pal! I miss getting excited to open envelopes and I think it'd be fun to make a new friend! That's why when I saw The World Needs More Love Letters I knew it was the inspiration I needed to get started!


Irresistible all-in-one stationery and envelopes for writing love letters to a lover, friend, parent, child, or other important recipient, from the TED speaker and creator of The World Needs More Love Letters website. The world needs more love letters...and here are 40 gorgeous pages—and ideas from an expert--to inspire your own. When you want to compose a letter of love, desire, gratitude, or friendship, but don’t know where to begin, this beautiful self-mailer stationery pad will help you find just the right words. With Hannah Brencher’s insightful note-starters and 40 vibrant letter pages, you have everything you need to share meaningful thoughts with those you love. (Simply add a stamp!) - Random House

Before this book came in, I didn't realize it already had a huge web presence before it was even published. The More Love Letters website is really great. For people that are having a rough time (or just need a little extra love) they compile "Love Letter Bundles;" and you can nominate someone you know to receive a bundle of sweet letters from people across the globe! They also run a program called Campus Cursive, to help spread love and encouragement around college campuses. You can learn more about the creator, Hannah Brencher, at her blog!


Inside the front and back cover are 40 letter writing prompts (one for each page) to get your creative juices flowing. The pages inside are all stationary pages. You simply write on one side, fold it up (it's only three folds, but there's a handy diagram on the back), add your stamp and drop it in the mail box. No envelope required! It's pretty nifty. There are five different colorful paper patterns to choose from, so I think it's safe to say that your letter will stand out in the mail box ;)


The letter prompts aren't too in depth, but enough to hopefully spark some creativity if you're in a rut. Some prompts are more romance based, but many of them you could use in a letter to a friend or family member, too. I'll mostly be using them for family, friends and hopefully a pen pal! Maybe I'm just not much of a romantic, but I can't see myself writing Andrew many spontaneous love letters...when you live together and work together you don't really spend much time apart, hahah.


Folding the letter up literally takes two seconds. I had origami stationary when I was kid that was harder than these. On the closing flap there's also that gummy stuff you lick on envelopes, so you don't need to tape it shut, either. A book like this would be perfect to bring on a vacation if you plan on sending lots of letters home! Just bring your postage stamps and you're all set.

In closing, I think this is a great book and I love the idea behind it. Now I just need to stop being nervous and find a pen pal. Last week I made an account on the International Geek Girl Pen Pals site. I have a lot of blog friends that met their pen pal through there, and they really love it! When you send in your request for a pen pal you just answer a few questions and make a list of 5 things you're really passionate about, and they try to match you with someone they think you'd be compatible with! So tell me, do you have a pen pal? How do you like it? Also, how often do you write to them? Being so busy and all I'm scared I'll be a shitty pen pal and not write to them often enough. How embarrassing ._.

Important Legal Disclosure Thing: I received this book courtesy of Blogging for Books for this review. All opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment