Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy!

Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy
Edward and Alphonse jumped into the picture to rep one of my favorite fandoms ;)

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.

Hey friends! I'm so excited to share today's book with you. When I first read about The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy last year, I already knew I needed to read it. I mean it's basically my life (or dream life, anyway) in book form. It was even on my 2015 reading list. So imagine my excitement when Quirk Books offered me a copy to share and write about?

The Office Andy Gif
Just to give you an idea.

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is written by uber nerd and badass geek girl feminist, Sam Maggs! The book is a fun, light read and gives a great introduction on what it means to be a geek girl in this day and age.  And if you're like "Pfffft, been there done that," there's still lots of great stuff in here for you too; such as interviews with other famous geeky women, resources for your next nerdy bash, and tips on how to meet and make new fangirly friends.

Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy
Fun surprise art underneath the book jacket!

My favorite part about this book is how she often talks about the importance of not judging other people when their interests/fandom and ways to do things are different than yours. There's no one way to be a proper fangirl! I appreciated this because sometimes I feel a bit disconnected from the geeky girl community...I'm not really a fan of Doctor Who or Firefly, I'm terrible at cosplay,  I don't read fanfic (although this book taught me a lot about it!), YA is generally bad, and I can't afford to go to the cool conventions. But that's ok! Even though those things seem like they're everywhere it doesn't mean I'm the only girl with those feelings, and it's important to respect other girls that do have them (or don't). In this book there's lots of shout outs to many different fan communities! I even learned that apparently the term for a huge X-Files fan is a X-Phile. I don't understand why, but I'll roll with it.

Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy

The book is divided into four chapters, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them is bound to have a little something for every geek (not even just girl ones) out there. My favorite chapter was the final one, titled "Aim to Misbehave: Geek Girl Feminism." Chapter three, "Geronimo! How to Survive Conventions," is also really useful if you've never been to a con before (spoiler: the main key is snacks and comfortable shoes). At the end of the book is a list of resources for some awesome sites and things to check out, one of them being the blog The Nerdy Girlie, run by co-founder of one of my favorite groups, Female Geek Bloggers! If you consider yourself a female geek blogger, you really need to join and hang out with us. We're cool :)

Another favorite part of this book is The Geek Girl's Litany for Feminism, which you can read on this badass poster I wish was on my wall.

Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy hits shelves on May 12th, so be sure to grab a copy! And maybe even one for your friend you're trying to convert, too. If you're super excited, pre-order a copy and enter to win some cool stuff in the pre-order campaign!

Run down:
Title:
The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Geek Girls
Author: Sam Maggs
Published + Publisher: May 12th 2015, Quirk Books
Pages: 208 (hardcover)
Source: Courtesy of Quirk Books!

No comments:

Post a Comment