Friday, April 17, 2015

Tales from the Bookshelf: Hollow City

Hollow City
He's not quite a hollow or a wight, but he's got his eyes on the peculiar children nonetheless 

Hey friends! Last month I wrote about reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs. This month I read the second book in the series, Hollow City! If you want to check out my review of the first book to get all caught up, you can find it by clicking right here! Go ahead, I'll wait.

Alright! So I wrote in the first review that Miss Peregrine's took a long time to ramp up, set the scene and introduce the characters before the story really got going. The second book is the complete opposite! It begins exactly where we left off in book one. Now I'm kind of glad that we got all of that stuff out of the way in the first book; it made the second one much easier to enjoy because you already had good knowledge and an appreciation for each character in the story. Here's the bio for book two!

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. There, they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Hollow City draws readers into a richly imagined world of telepathy and time loops, of sideshows and shapeshifters. - via Quirk Books

Like the first book, Hollow City is illustrated in the form of real life, vintage photographs. I thought the photos were much more strange and creepy in this one! They really help set the mood (which is usually, uh, kinda dreary). There were a few photos I wanted to show you, but I didn't want to risk possibly spoiling any of the story, so I settled with just this guy:

Hollow City
Doesn't that make you want to read the story to figure out what's going on? Hahah.

Overall I really enjoyed this book! The story was fast paced and exciting, you learn some crazy stuff about the hollows, wights, loops, and you get a much better feel for the characters. If you were hoping for some progress on the whole Jacob/Emma romance, there's more of that, too. But not in an overly sappy teen romance way, so it's cool. Oh, and the ending? Wow. Maybe I'm gullible (ok yes I am), but I didn't see that coming from a mile away! The third book is scheduled to come out in September. I guess that's not too far off, but I hate waiting to know what happens next >_<

Run down - 
Title: Hollow City
Author: Ransom Riggs
Published + Publisher: Quirk Books, February 24, 2015
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Young Adult Fiction
Pages: 428 (paperback, including bonus chapter from book 3)
Source: Courtesy of Quirk Books!

No comments:

Post a Comment