Friday, January 23, 2015

Peanuts in Wonderland Exhibit at the Charles M. Schulz Museum!


Peanuts in Wonderland

On Monday I went to the Charles M. Schulz Museum to see one of their more recent exhibits, Peanuts in Wonderland! The theme was about how Alice in Wonderland has been inspiring cartoonists and artists of all kinds for nearly 150 years. Charles Schulz was a huge fan of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and referenced it in his Peanuts strips many times. I went with my mom and brother, and we all had a great time! I also took some pictures, so I thought it might be fun to share a few of them here. There was no flash allowed in the museum, so unfortunately the picture quality isn't too great...but you get the idea! ;) Photo-heavy post ahead!

Schulz Museum

One of the first things you'll notice as you get to the museum is the cute Charlie Brown waiting outside to greet you! In his hands are tickets to the museum! I know it's hard to tell, but the tattoo looking thing on his head is a drawing of the building. Interesting choice, but alright, hahah.


I had my brother take my picture in front of the exhibit because I like their sign thingy. That day I also learned that you shouldn't wear your chambray shirt dress if you'll be in the car for an hour and a half, or it's just wrinkle city. Boo.

Schulz Museum Peanuts in Wonderland

A little introduction as you walk in (I darkened the letters a bit in this picture, hoping it'd make it a little easier to read some of it).

They showcased a handful of Peanuts strips with Wonderland themes, particularly ones with Snoopy's "cheshire beagle" trick.

Schulz Museum Peanuts in Wonderland

On the topic of the chesire beagle, they had this awesome display on the wall with Snoopy sitting in a tree. Every few minutes Snoopy would do his cheshire beagle trick and fade away, leaving only his smile behind!

Schulz Museum Peanuts in Wonderland

They also had some non-Peanuts comics on display that were inspired by Wonderland, like Archie in Wonderland! I'm a big Archie fan, so I thought this was really cool to see.

Schulz Museum Peanuts in Wonderland Archie

Here's a couple of the cels from Disney's Alice in Wonderland. Cel animation is a traditional form of animation used in the production of cartoons or animated movies (so all the old school Disney cartoons), where each frame of the scene is drawn by hand. A full-length feature film made in cel animation would usually require a million or more drawings to complete.

Schulz Museum Peanuts in Wonderland

After seeing everything in the Wonderland exhibit, we explored the rest of the museum. There was a lot of other cool stuff to see, and just the building itself has some cool features, like their giant Peanuts comic strip mosaic wall!

Schulz Museum

The wall's really tall and goes all the way up with comic strips to the second floor (there's a closer look below). Even the bathroom was lined with some comic strip tiles. They're placed so they're about eye level when you're sitting on the toilet! Hahahah.

Schulz Museum

After the museum we went to the gift shop. There's a small one inside the museum, and a bigger one across the street where they also have a cafe and an ice skating rink! On the second floor of the gift shop there was a tiny mini-museum with random Peanuts things to see. My favorite was this model of the museum made out of Lego's!

Schulz Museum Lego

At the gift shop I picked up this super badass Charlie Brown shirt! I've ALWAYS wanted one, but for some reason it took me twenty three years to find one in a store. I wore it the next day and of course had to share it with the masses, so this showed up on my Instagram later that evening.



So in a nutshell that was our day! The Schulz Museum is located in Santa Rosa, CA, and if you're around or feel like making the trip I definitely recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment