Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

So apparently we're expecting a bit of a storm this week. Lots of wind, lots of rain, all that fun stuff. Oh, and flash floods possibly! I don't really see that part happening in my exact location, but I guess we'll see. The weather has been weird this year. A few months ago we were complaining that we needed more rain, and now we're complaining because there's too much of it!

Anyway, seeing updates about the weather on almost every site I go to makes me remember this and that time the power went out due to a storm (or just because), and things we did to stay occupied. It really isn't that bad. Sometimes it's actually kind of perfect, and forces you into doing something you wouldn't normally do because you were glued to your computer. And with that, I bring you...

Great book, by the way. Read it!

1. Candles This one's obvious. Not only are they crucial to your power outage experience, but if you're like me then you also just love having them around. If you think the power's going out that night, make sure you have some candles around. Bonus points if they smell awesome! When I was young my friends and I would sometimes roast marshmallows over candles and make s'mores. Now that I think about it, there are much better ways to roast a marshmallow, but it worked so whatever I guess?

2. Play a board game If you have your friends or family around, it's the perfect time to play a game! This is assuming you have enough candles and flashlights to see. Playing board games can be annoying when the other players keep checking the TV or their phones, but now that the power's out they have no choice but to pay attention. Hah! My favorite board games are Pandemic and Settlers of Catan.

3. Do some cleaning Let's talk about how many times you planned to do the dishes and got sidetracked for an hour (or two) watching cat videos and playing Candy Crush. Uh huh. Fold that pile of clothes you washed last week, you have no excuse now!

4. Read a book Personally I think reading under candlelight (and even my little clip on book light) is really cozy. Find that book you've been meaning to read (I know you have at least five) and maybe a cozy blanket and you're good to go.

5. Mad Libs Long car rides, boring waiting rooms, power outages; Mad Libs always have your back.


...and finally

6. Go to bed When all else fails, sleep it out. If you're lucky the power will be back on by the time you wake up. Hopefully. Hahah.

What do you like to do when the power's out? And why does the power always seem to go out at night? Things to think about. Stay warm, everyone! (>^.^)>

Pssst...there's still time to enter the Femmecraft giveaway I'm hosting here on the blog! Express and support your geeky passions with jewelry that gives back - each pendant donates 10% to a correlating charity!

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE "It Was a Dark and Story Night" ! But all books by Janet and Allan Ahlberg are pretty awesome.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is still "The Jolly Postman" series, but all of them are great!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I actually love when the power goes out, I think it's so much fun... until food starts going bad in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a few storms that made me think the power was going to go out. It can be scary, but if you're prepared, it's not so bad. The games and reading a book tip are great for keeping little kids occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I completely forgot "Mad Libs" (or in this case, Rap Libs) existed, hah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did them ALL THE TIME when I was younger!

      Delete
  5. I used to love Mad Libs. They were so fun. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love playing games by candle light! Having the power out can be such an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! We haven't lost power in a while, and I think we're probably woefully unprepared for it. Still, a night curled up by the fire playing Mad Libs and then going to bed early sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite as prepared as I'd like to be either! Luckily every time the power has gone out over here it's never for TOO long :)

      Delete
  8. Great must have list! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! What a great list! It's been a long time since I've been without power, and definitely before I had kids. So this is great if I am ever in a jam! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natalie! I'm from the bay area too but fortunately everyone I know is safe during the storm. I enjoyed your post. We had work and school that day, but if there is ever a time there's a calamity your list of what to do is a good reference. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad everyone is safe! Where I am it wasn't really that bad at all. Just some rain, which wasn't even particularly heavy. Going out to work in the rain still sucked though, hahah!

      Delete
  11. You in the SF Bay Area or Southern California? I am in the SF Bay Area and it was kind of crazy on Thursday! My hubby got us all prepared on Wednesday so that we have food, water, batteries etc. Only one day though, Friday was sorta of back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in between SF and Sac! So it was rainy but not particularly bad or anything over here. The power went out for a couple hours at some houses in town, but in my apartment we were only out for a few minutes! It was pretty freaky seeing how much worse it was in the city, glad you're all ok!

      Delete
  12. I miss Mad Libs - and this one is so funny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice!! I love that cell phones now have a bright light you can use. Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah that's one of the reasons I wish I had a smartphone! I'm behind on the times ;) I carry a mini LEGO flashlight on my keys, though!

      Delete
  14. OMG mad Libs used to be my favorite! This is a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha the rap libs look like a lot of fun. I LOVE mad libs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I love reading by candlelight when the power goes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rap Libs! Love it, and I will definitely check out your book recommendation.
    Thanks for linking up at the Shine Blog Hop!
    Amber at OurCharmedLife.net

    ReplyDelete