Saturday, December 13, 2014

12 Days of Christmas - Holiday Recipes!


I know it's the most cliche thing to say right now, but can you believe Christmas is just around the corner?! I mean, I guess you can...it's colder out and your calender says December, but really, where does the time go? Aaah. Anyway, to bring a little Christmas spirit to the blog, I decided to participate in the Blogging 12 Days of Christmas hosted by my good friend Pam! From now through Christmas Eve there's a new Christmas-y topic we'll be writing about to spread some cheer :) Because of some prior commitments (both blogging commitments and real life ones) I won't be able to post each day here on the blog, but I'll still participate in some form of social media on those days!

To get us all started today's theme is holiday recipes! I'm not much of a cook, but I thought it'd be fun to talk about something I love making around the holidays (well I don't love the actual process of making them, but I love sharing treats and being able to say I made them, hahah). Cake balls!


Cake balls are amazing. They've been a pretty big thing for the last few years (ever since Starbucks started carrying them, basically), but I never tried one for myself until about three years ago. Back when I still worked at Ross Dress for Less I had a work friend that loved baking and would often bring us treats. One day during the holidays she brought in Funfetti, white chocolate cake balls and I was in LOVE. I asked her to share the recipe with me and I went on to make custom batches for my two best friends as part of their Christmas gifts, and another batch to bring to my parents house on Christmas Eve. With the trial and error batches along with the handful of leftovers from each batch, Andrew was pretty sick of cake balls once the holidays were over, hahah! Too much of a good thing, I guess. Either way, it's been year since I've made some, so I'm ready to get back at it!

A more accurate depiction of how mine actually look. They taste good though, I promise!

Making cake balls, while a little time consuming, is surprisingly simple. Since I'm not much of a food blogger I'll let someone a bit more qualified explain the recipe to you, This recipe is basically exactly how I make mine. The "candy coating" I use is just melted chocolate chips. I tried using confectioners chocolate, but I didn't like it quite as much. The only downside is that melted chocolate chips dry and harden REALLY fast, so when dipping the cake balls you'll need to act quickly or have a friend help you out! Baking is more fun with friends, anyway ;)


Pssst...there's still time to enter the Femmecraft giveaway I'm hosting here on the blog! Express and support your geeky passions with jewelry that gives back - each pendant donates 10% to a correlating charity!

10 comments:

  1. Haha that NAILED IT! picture is funny. my recipes never look like the pinterest picture that I try and follow... always annoys me but at least they always taste good :P

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! I love those "Pinterest fail" pictures with the comparison. They make me not feel so bad XD

      Delete
    2. Hahaha. It's the taste that counts. I once made a beautiful bread that was shaped like a dragon and it tasted awful lolol! Great job Natalie!

      Delete
  2. Love the "Nailed It!" picture. The most important part of food is how it tastes, so if you've got that part down, the presentation can come later!! Thanks for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the 'nailed it' picture is so funny! I'd love to have a go at making cake pops, I made ones out of strawberries and white chocolate before :)

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious! I love most things with white chocolate :)

      Delete
  4. The only time I tried making cake pops they looked hideous too. But would love to make some more. They're so great for children as well as adult treats. #sitsgirls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! There's so many variations of them you can make, I think pretty much anyone would like them!

      Delete
  5. I made Cake Pops for a couple years when I was doing a local farmers marker for my baked goods - they sold out every week! Definitely a popular treat. They are time consuming, but oh so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome! Maybe when I can get mine to look a little nicer I'll have to try that!

      Delete