Sunday, November 16, 2014

Read Play Blog: Favorite Sci-Fi Games

Read Play Blog is a meme about video games and books, posted every 16th of the month. Bloggers are encouraged to answer a discussion question, recommend a video game that they like, and share what they're currently playing. Hosted by Happy Indulgence Books & Read Me Away!

What's your favorite sci-fi game?

Read Play Blog is something I look forward to writing every month, but I have to say this months topic isn't in my wheel well. I don't really play sci-fi games. The closest I've played through was Saints Row IV (because aliens and space and things), which I've already written about over and over again, so I'll do you a favor and skip that this time around. The other ones I've tried I wasn't fond of. I don't like Halo (or any of first person shooter for that matter), and I don't like flying through space. Obviously that isn't all sci-fi games, but embarrassingly I just haven't had much exposure. With that, instead of recommending you an awesome sci-fi game, I will throw this question back at you, and beg someone to help me find a sci-fi game I'll love. There HAS to be something out there for me! Reading everyone else's Read Play Blog posts will hopefully give me some ideas, too!

I also don't like running around in ships because the rooms and halls tend to look the same and I get lost easily. I'm telling you all sorts of embarrassing things today! Sigh. - (picture source)

My Recommendation: Fable III

It's been awhile since I played this game, but for some reason its been on my mind lately. Fable III is an action/role-playing/open world game, with a lot of subtle underlying humor throughout. The story focuses on your character's struggle to overthrow the King of Albion (who also happens to be your brother) by forming alliances and building support for a revolution. Then (SPOILER) after a successful revolt, you become the monarch and must attempt to defend Albion from a great evil that was foretold earlier in the game.

Fable III
Not your character. I just think this picture's funny :)

What I like about this game is that there's so many ways the story can go. Do you want your character to be an evil badass, feared by all? Or maybe a more humble leader that your kingdom admires and looks up to? Little decisions you make earlier in the game often end up affecting you later, and not always in good ways. Think before you act! Also, if anyone else understands this games weird obsession with chickens, I'm really curious.

What I'm currently playing: Worms Clan Wars

Worms Clan Wars

I had never really planned on playing a game about worms, but here I am. Earlier this week my younger brother was telling me how much fun we'd have playing this together (even though he'd never tried it either), and I was like, "uh huh," not really thinking much about it. Then he bought it for us. There was a sale on Humble Bundle, which had a bunch of the Worms games, including FOUR copies of Worms Clan Wars. So there was one copy for him, one for me, one for Andrew, and he's saving the last one for when we convince my older brother to play with us. It's a Christmas present over a month early, hahah. He's one of my favorite people to game with, so I love it when we get to try new games together! We played it for the first time on Friday night. It was a little rocky at first, but once we got the hang of it it was really fun! You basically just take turns trying to strategically demolish the other teams worms with all sorts of different weapons. It's simple but really fun, and I don't know about everyone else, but it got a LOT of laughs from us. I also like that you can name and customize the worms on your team. I named mine after some of my favorite rappers and hip hop artists, hahah!

So that's it for this month. December's topic is something I'm sure will be easy for all of us; we'll be sharing what's on our gaming wishlists, and some recommendations on games to get your friends! 

10 comments:

  1. I have always loved the Worms games, which I first played ages ago with my older brother! It's such a strange game concept haha, but it really is silly addictive fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUPER strange! I was like, worms, really? Hahah.

      Delete
  2. Lol weird my boyfriend was JUST talking about how much he loves the original Worms game.

    FALLOUT 3~. It's not like ridiculous OTT like Saints Row IV BUT:

    1) There's a great aiming system so if you suck at shooting you almost never have to go the FPS route. It does use up the equivalent of "mana" points (AP in the Fallout world), which can be daunting at low levels, but as you level up it becomes less and less of a hindrance. Plus at some mid-late level you can take the skill "Grim Reaper Sprint" which automatically refills your AP every time you kill someone. At that point you're basically an unstoppable killing machine.

    I suck at shooting but Fallout 3 is definitely a game about the story and RPG experience, not the shooting.

    2. No flying in space/stuck in spaceships that look the same. It does suffer from that in the beginning (you start out life/the game in a fallout shelter that has the "it all looks the same" feel to it) but you quickly get out of there and into the open. When you end up in towns/forts later, the designers were kind enough to put maps and directions all over the place which blends nicely with the in-game decor but is also legitimately helpful to keep yourself oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I tried to comment on this earlier, but it totally failed, so I will try again :). I am also not a big fan of scifi games... mostly because I'm awful at FPS, which is what most of them are. I did play the beta version of Destiny, and I loved it, and I'm super sad that I have to pay a monthly fee to play it since it's basically an mmo :( Sad face Megan. But my brother just bought me the Mass Effect series, so I will give those a try and see how I do. Probably not very well, but hey at least I'm trying it. I tend to prefer the open world games, so I think I will give Fable III a try as well :) Thanks so much for sharing this. I know I say it everytime, but I love your favicon. Adorbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks! I have wanted to try Destiny and have heard mixed reviews, but I'm glad to hear you liked it! I'm not too great at those games either, though :( And you should definitely try Fable III! It's so much fun!

      Delete
  4. For recs, I will go with my favourite, Starcraft. :P But I think Cave Story is pretty fun. It involves robots and all kinds of fun stuff. :)

    Thanks for participating, Natalie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting!! Read Play Blog is my favorite link up :)

      Delete
  5. Yay, thanks for participating again Natalie! I would DEFINITELY recommend either Mass Effect series for a deep RPG or Portal which is so much fun. Hearing you rave about Fable makes me really curious, I've always heard so much about that game but haven't had the chance to pick it up. Thanks for sharing this month, Natalie, even though the topic wasn't up your alley this time! Hope you find some good recs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a lot of great stuff about Mass Effect! I'll be checking it out soon :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete