Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What I Wore: Aquaman!

So as I made sure to mention again, and again, and again, I decided awhile back that I was going to be Aquaman for Halloween! I decided to keep my outfit really simple, because it was something I had to wear to the theatre to work in, too. Even though there are some tiny pieces here and there I might change for next time, I'm really pleased with how it turned out! Today I thought it might be fun to give a little in-depth look at my outfit and how I pieced it all together. Plus I just like talking about Aquaman, hahah.

Aquaman cosplay costume
Tah-daaahhh!

My favorite piece is my top. On one hand it's just a t-shirt, but on another hand I can wear it all the time now, because it's just a t-shirt. Since I'm poor I don't really like buying things that I'm only going to use a few times in my life. I saw the shirt on lots of different websites, and I eventually ordered it from Hot Topic. I don't normally shop there nowadays, but it happened to be on sale! It's from the men's department but runs a little slim. I ordered 1 size up, except now it's too long. Eventually I'd like to get it hemmed!

The green scale leggings took a bit more work. I typed variations of "green scale leggings" into Amazon and Ebay, and there were oodles to choose from. The problem was that most of them said "one size fits all," and then described it as suitable for sizes small and medium. Sweet. Unfortunately I am not small or even medium. I gave up on those and went to another favorite shopping site, Etsy! I eventually chose this pair from a shop called Nan Made. They are a bit long on me, but I'm only 5'1, so most things are! Otherwise they're perfect.

Just for a little extra fun I decided to add a few of my own touches. The first thing was one of my favorite pairs of earrings, these little blue fishies! Since I was Aquaman I thought it'd be fun to have a bit of my ocean posse hanging around. They're Betsey Johnson brand, but I bought them from Ross Dress for Less years ago. I tried finding a link, but no luck! One of the fishies lost a few stones :(


I also pulled out this green sea shell bracelet. I like to imagine that Aquaman spends some of his free time picking shells off the beach to make jewelry with (that isn't true, but I can dream). I've had this bracelet laying around for awhile, and even thought I liked it I could never find the right outfit to pair it with until now! The dangling shells make a fun-without-being-annoying jingling sound when you move.


Finally, I painted my nails a perfectly matching shade of obnoxious glittery orange. It's two coats of NYC Times Square Tangerine, and one coat of an orange glitter polish from Hot Topic (I don't think it has an actual name, but the bottle has a little skull on it - I got it years ago so it may be different now), and one coat of Seche Vite topcoat.

This picture didn't really work out, but it looks pretty cool in person, I promise.

So that was my Aquaman outfit :) The rest is pretty self explanatory. I'm looking forward to finding more occasions and excuses to wear it. Some of it may even show up in my #Nerdvember posts over on Instagram! What did you wear on Halloween?

23 comments:

  1. I think you look awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit came out really cute! And your leggings are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you! <3 I really love the leggings, I'm trying to decide if it's too weird to wear them on regular days? Hahah.

      Delete
  3. LOVE THIS!!!! That polish is perfect and so are the earrings! Great job!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had a great time putting it together :)

      Delete
  4. This looks so great! And you look like you're having tons of fun in that outfit :)

    I like that you like talking about Aquaman :). I recently read the first three volumes in the New 52 series, and I'm hooked. I've never been a really big Aquaman fan before (except for liking the Aquaman portrayal in Justice League Unlimited) and now I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you're an Aquaman fan! There aren't enough of us <3

      Delete
  5. Love it! Those leggings are so rad. And I love the fish earrings - a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the leggings so much hahah.

      Delete
  6. Awwwww you look great! And congrats on getting a sale item on Hot Topic! I haven't been in that store in ages, but that is TOTALLY a rad shirt that I think should be worn more than just once a year :) Happy (very belated!) Halloween! PS: You have THE CUTEST dimples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, thank you! <3 I used to be so self conscious about my dimples because my right one is much more pronounced, so sometimes it looks like I only have one, hahah! Now I quite like them :)

      Delete
  7. I have to admit I have no idea who Aquaman is but I think you look great! I really like the little extra touches you have to your outfit like he earrings x

    #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks! He's a superhero - ruler of the seas!

      Delete
  8. Haha, love comics. Those fish earrings are awesome!
    ~Linking over from Weekend Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been waiting for this reveal for so long! You look amazing, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I can't wait to try it again with some of the things I was unable to get this time around.

      Delete
  10. What a cool costume! I love putting together my own costume like this instead of just buying one. This year, I was Belle and my entire costume was items I already had except for the hair bow, which cost me $1! Thanks for joining us for Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I absolutely LOVE Belle, I bet you looked amazing!

      Delete
  11. That's fantastic!! I love it - I dressed like Black Widow... I went to a convention that weekend and cosplayed as her, but I wore it for the party, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! That must have been really fun!

      Delete
  12. That shirt has a nice fit, superhero attire always seems longer. 'm liking the effect seeing it on you!
    If a white boy be chillin protecting the sea 24/7 pretty sure he's eventually going to pick up a seashell. I was reading your post thinking "I see what she means, more for aqua girl". Then I scrolled down to see the picture of the bracelet. A white boy chillin protecting the sea 24/7 picks up a good stone what's he gonna do with it? Skip it. A white boy protecting the sea 24/7 picks up a nice seashell what's he gonna do with it? Sand and carve that shit. Therefore that's probably aqua mans bracelet style straight up. Where'd you get it?
    I put some fake blood dripping down my lips and wore my misfits hoodie for Halloween. Took my friends 4-year-old (he's my buddy). Hope you enjoined yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwe thank you!! :D
      Lol it makes perfect sense when you explain it! I actually got the bracelet from Dollar Tree this summer?! Yay for $1!
      Sounds like you had a great Halloween! I always get too creeped out to put things like fake blood on my face, hahah.

      Delete