Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Only Game I Need Next Year

As you may or may not have heard, Saints Row is my all time favorite game series. I've written about it here a handful of times already (I have a whole archive tab dedicated to it), and I see no signs of stopping as long as Volition keeps it coming. Today I'm way too excited to talk about the new stand-alone expansion coming out next year - Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell. It was announced at PAX 2014 early last month, but I wanted to wait for a little more details before writing about it - otherwise we'd just be in for a "AAAH I'M SO EXCITED!!!11!" post...which isn't the worst thing in the world, but I decided to leave that nonsense on Facebook.


While The Saints are playing around with a ouija board at a birthday party (not a practice I agree with, but I digress...) a portal is opened and sucks the Boss (the character you made from Saints Row IV, if you made one) into the depths of Hell. Whoops. In this game, you get to play as either ultimate badass Johnny Gat, or cyber extraordinaire Kinzie Kensington to go in and save the Boss from Satan's clutches. Since this is a stand alone expansion, you don't need to have Saints Row IV in order to play. I mean, you'll be lacking in the story, but if you're cool with that and really just wanna smash things in Hell then go for it.

...and you can fly!

One of the big things Saints Row is known for is their new and unique weapons in each game; I'm still very partial to the Dupstep Gun, myself. In the trailer below you can see the Exodus 10, which is a plague of locusts in the form of a gun (stuff of nightmares), and the Armchair-a-Geddon, which is literally an armchair you chill in while missiles shoot out of the armrests.



I've heard from many people that they weren't fans of the direction Saints Row was going after Saints Row: the Third. The first two games were gritter and more serious, a style similar to the Grand Theft Auto series, and the later games have more of a wackier element to them - almost a parody of what they once were. The series has definitely been on an interesting journey, but I'm all for it. Luckily Volition clearly doesn't care about those negative opinions, seeing as after Saints Row: the Third they continued on with Saints Row IV, which was even MORE ridiculous and over the top. I mean, it didn't even take place on earth. The premise of this expansion shows that their vision still hasn't swayed.


Unfortunately there's still three months until it's released, and even then I might have to wait for a sale before I get it (but Steam has the best sales so I'm not too worried). Either way I'm very excited for this game to come out, and can't wait to shoot the devil in the face.

6 comments:

  1. But the real question is: how do you feel about the music change on the Dubstep Gun? =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have had friends play this game but I can't remember. I'm usually pretty good at knowing what different games are about at least because of my gamer boyfriend. Haha I think that it's cool that as a girl you're writing about gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't played any of the Saints Rows games. They are just not my style. After watching the trailer for this one though it has left me intrigued enough. I think my Husband would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not big on videos games but I hope you can make it through the wait period! Waiting on things is the worst!

    ReplyDelete