Monday, October 6, 2014

Star Wars Reads Day

Star Wars Reads Day is coming up on October 11th! The event is fairly new, so if you haven't heard of it quite yet I'll forgive you. If you're a fan of both Star Wars AND books, then this is where you need to be on Saturday.

Star Wars Reads Day

"Bookstores and libraries will once again feel the power of the Force.

Disney Publishing Worldwide and its publishing partners announced today the third annual Star Wars Reads Day, to be held October 11, 2014. Last year, Star Wars authors and costumed volunteers participated in over 2,000 Star Wars Reads Day events across North America and, for the first time, around the world. On October 11 of this year, Star Wars fans, authors, and artists will again come together in this multi-publisher initiative that celebrates reading and Star Wars. Participating publishing partners include Abrams, Chronicle Books, Dark Horse, Del Rey, Disney Book Group, DK, Klutz, Quirk Books, Random House Audio, Scholastic, and Workman Publishing."

Yay! For the last two years I went to events held at the library. There were little crafts, like making your own light saber and clip-on Princess Leia hair buns (it was mostly children doing them but I guess I don't care), and the R2-D2 straight from the movie was there to take pictures with. People are encouraged to come in costumes, though I haven't done that yet. I just wear one of my favorite Star Wars shirts :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to go this year, as I'll be in the middle of tech week for Rocky Horror.  I still wanted to participate in spirit (annnd have a good excuse for some Star Wars paper crafting), so I printed out this free PDF activity kit offered on their website, which has printables and activities that they'll also be doing at the events! Everything included in the activity kit either came from or is inspired by a Star Wars book, and it states at the bottom of each one which book it's from, in case you want more of it. It's pretty cute.

Star Wars Reads Day Princess Labelmaker
In case you need an origami Princess Leia in your life.

There are Star Wars Reads Day events happening all over the place. Check out library and bookstore calenders to see if they have anything planned, and if you live near a Barnes and Noble you can use this locator to see if they're doing anything! The Barnes and Noble in my town usually does something, but this year they're not. It looks like a lot of other locations still are, though!

Have you even been to a Star Wars Reads Day event? If not, would this be something up your alley? If any of you go I'd love to hear about it!

9 comments:

  1. I wish we didn't have 2 events already scheduled for that day! My kid is obsessed with Star Wars and especially the origami. He actually folded one of these Leias for a doctor last week. She was thrilled, she said Leia had been her hero growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet!! I would have been so happy if I were that doctor!

      Delete
  2. Cute! I work at a library and we'll have to look into doing something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I always thought it would be fun to work in a library :)

      Delete
  3. Oh that is so cool!! I wish I didn't already have plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. never too old to do Arts and Crafts, looks like something fun to make. That's a cool event, I have a friend who loves all things Star Wars, she would really like Star Wars Reads Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads-up. My kids (and I) are hugs Star Wars fans, so I'm going to see if there's anything happening around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, My grands would love this. Thanks for sharing it at The Southern Special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Thanks for the reminder to check our local libraries. Love the print out, too. :) Thank you so much for sharing with the #SHINEbloghop!

    ReplyDelete