Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Read Play Blog - Halloween Edition!

Read Play Blog
Read Play Blog is a monthly blog project about video games and books, posted every 16th of the month. Bloggers are encouraged to answer a discussion question, recommend a video game and share what they are currently playing. Hosted by Happy Indulgence & Read Me Away!

 What game character would you like to be this Halloween?

I'm glad you asked! Well, it's not really a secret that I already have my Halloween costume planned out - Aquaman! While he isn't strictly a game character, he's in a fair share of games and it's in the same geeky realm, anyway. Putting together an Aquaman outfit (more of a semi-casual cosplay, because I need to be able to wear it to work) has been an interesting journey. It doesn't require many pieces, which is cool, but the pieces it does require aren't really things you can run out to the store and find. As I'm not a badass cosplay making extraordinaire, I spent a lot of time on the internet looking for things.

Aquaman

Now, if I could be any character I wanted for Halloween, assuming I was a badass cosplay making extraordinaire, I think I would be my favorite character from my second favorite game series - Xiahou Dun, from Dynasty Warriors. Probably not the most recent designs of him, because he has shorter hair in the newer games. Xiahou Dun is pretty legit. He gets hit in the eye with an arrow, hardly even flinches, and wears a cool eye patch for the rest of his days.

Xiahou Dun
Source

Game Recommendation: Dynasty Warriors 7

So on that same wavelength, my game recommendation for this month is Dynasty Warriors 7. It's a hack and slash type game and is loosely based on the Chinese classical novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Many of the characters actually existed during the Three Kingdoms period (AD 220 - 280) but aren't really historically accurate in the game, so don't reference it in your history class. I've made it no secret that I enjoy a lot of games that are not usually considered very cool or popular, but that's alright.

Dynasty Warriors 7
Rage!!!

I honestly enjoy every single game in this series (excluding  the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games, because those are the WORST), but 7 is my favorite. To me, it has the most interesting story mode levels and I liked the new way of customizing your weapons. In each level of story mode you are forced to play the character that plays a prominent role in that particular story arc, so you'll actually feel like you're part of the story rather than just someone along for the ride. So for example, you can't use this girl because she wasn't born yet in the story, and you can't use that guy because he died in the story on the previous level. At first I wasn't a fan of this, but after playing through I'm glad it worked out that way. It gave me the chance to learn about different character abilities and weapons that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Now I think using a fan as a weapon is pretty badass, when before I was strictly swords and halberds. There's still a free-to-play type thing with its own different levels, called Conquest Mode. In Conquest Mode you can play whichever character you want (as long as they're unlocked), and can work your way around the map earning new weapons, and my favorite - animal companions! Most of my characters use the panda companion; while you're in battle he rolls around on his back and heals you <3

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft - Mists of Pandaria

Unfortunately I don't get to wear a paddy hat.

I took a bit of a break from WoW, but now I'm back at it with Mists of Pandaria! I'm having SO much fun being Boohun (hahah) the huntress panda, it's awesome. I don't even know if I'll ever go back to my original character, Nafumae the shamen troll. Pandaren hunters all start with a pet turtle that follows them around, and I named mine Stinky. This refers to my real-life pet turtle, who is named Leonardo but is always often called Stinky Turtle.

8 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see your Aquaman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH DYNASTY WARRIORS. Or well, I haven't played any of those games BUT I have played Sengoku Basara which seems to be a similar concept? I LOVE IT. All dat hack 'n' slash~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're way similar! It's often compared to Samurai Warriors, which also branched off from Dynasty Warriors, so they're all in the same big happy family :D I love hack and slash games!

      Delete
  3. AQUAMAN! WOOHOO! :D This response made me laugh, and I wish you the best of luck with your costume! :)

    And omg, Dynasty Warriors. I have GREAT memories of playing this game with friends. :) I think hack and slash games are so much fun when you're playing them with friends.

    Thanks for participating, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thank you! Hack and slashers are definitely more fun with friends! The more the merrier :)

      Delete
  4. I wish I had mad cosplay making skills too. My costume making skills are subpar and I generally take the easy way out of costumes. I'm excited to see how your costume turns out!

    Thank you for linking up for Social Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for participating Natalie! I absolutely LOVED Dynasty Warriors 3 when it was out, and 4 as well! I haven't kept up to date with the series as I moved onto PC gaming though which is a shame. My favourite character was Gan Ning, I thought he was hunky haha.

    ReplyDelete