Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Book Report

Today I'm participating in the monthly Circle with Kiki from In Its Time. This month the topic is on one of my favorite things...books!

I'd like to welcome you to today's post with a cat gif.

What are your favorite books you've read this year?

I read a lot of good books this year, but I'll narrow it down. The absolute BEST book I read was Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. I found it very inspiring, and it's also what drove me to start writing my Buy for Good series. There is also a 2 part documentary based on the book, which is very conveniently on Netflix! They recently came out with another book called A Path Appears, which I'm reading right now. It's about making a difference at home and all over the world, and becoming the most global effective citizens we can be. There's also a documentary for that on its way, but I won't be able to see it until January!

Half the Sky

Some other great books I read this year were China Dolls, by Lisa See (one of my favorite authors), and Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened, by Allie Brosh. Hyperbole and a Half started as just a blog, and I was really happy when this book came out! Even though it took me a year to start reading it, hahah.

What did you just finish reading?

The most recent book I finished was Deadly Little Lies, by Laurie Faria Stolarz. I hated it so much that I wrote a whole post about it :P It is the second book in a series, but I don't plan on reading the rest of them.

Deadly Little Lies

What are you reading next?

Well as I previously said, I'm currently reading A Path Appears. I also have The Goldfinch checked out from the library, and plan to read that next. Unfortunately I'm a slow reader, and since that book's so big I'll probably have to return it before I'm done :( I might just check it out again but for my Nook.


What were your favorite books as a kid?

When I was a kid I really liked this series called Akiko, by Mark Crilley. I've often heard it described as a cross between Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz. It's about a girl and her adventures on different planets with some alien friends. At the beginning of each book, her alien friends would come pick her up from her bedroom window, and leave an Akiko robot replica in her place until the real Akiko came back!


What book would you want on a deserted island?

I'm kind of torn on this one. At first I was thinking I'd want to bring something really big that I've never read before. I was going to say War and Peace, because one of my goals is to read it someday, and what better time than stranded on a deserted island? Then I was thinking that that might not be the most interesting thing to read (I wouldn't want to be stuck with a boring book), so maybe I'd just want to go with one of my favorite books instead? In that case I would bring Cloud Atlas, which is one of my favorite books. I could also benefit from rereading it because there's just some much symbolism and callbacks and EVERYTHING shoved in there, half of which I didn't even realize until I was already finished reading it. However, if one existed, I would bring a giant book that contained all seven Harry Potter books. I've been meaning to finally finish the series, and since it's been so long I'd want to start from the beginning! It'd also eat up a lot of time, hahah! So if that book existed, that would be my final answer ;)

What about you?! If you linked up this month I'd love to read your post, or even if you didn't and just want to leave your answers in a comment below! Let's talk about books <3

In Its Time

25 comments:

  1. Can you believe I still have not read Half the Sky? I read a different book a few years ago about sex trafficking and for the longest time needed a break from that topic. I think it is time I finally read it. Your other favs from this year sound good too. I'm having kind of a ho-hum reading year. I've been stuck on Lawrence in Arabia for months now and before that read Emperors of Maladies. Both good books, but slow going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it! If you don't have time then watching the documentary will suffice for now ;) I haven't read either of your books from this year (yet)! I've also been stuck reading the same books for what feels like foooorever. It's good that you like them, though!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Half the Sky is excellent. I didn't know about the documentary though - will definitely have to check that out. The Goldfinch is an adventure - but yes, long!

    Thanks for sharing and linking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The documentary is great! I watched it with a group of women from my church and everyone loved it :)

      Delete
  3. The goldfinch is suuuuuch a long read! I enjoyed it, but I only read half, and that was plenty for me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really liked this post! Reading is such a wonderful thing, no matter what age you are. I enjoyed seeing what you had coming up next in addition to what you loved when you were younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 I love talking about books hahah

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these! Man, I keep adding so many books to my Goodreads shelf because of this linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah better too many than too little!

      Delete
  6. I've just downloaded Deadly Little Lies... not sure I will be reading now after your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL at least it's a quick read, hahah! I could see myself reading the others if I was on an airplane or somewhere equally dull :p

      Delete
  7. Your strategy to bring War and Peace is a good one! I was trying to think of a great big novel to add to my choice...but I couldn't come up with one.

    Goldfinch is on my to read list as well. SOMEDAY I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since The Goldfinch is so big I don't know what I didn't choose THAT as my island read! Hahah,

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of Half the Sky, but it sounds like something I would very much enjoy. How wonderful that there are documentaries available on Netflix, too. I'll have to look into all of these. I'm so glad you linked up with us at the #shinebloghop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by Netflix's collection of documentaries! Definitely check it out when you get a chance :)

      Delete
  9. I have China Dolls on my bookshelf! I'll have to pick it up soon.
    My book for a deserted island? Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Jamie Fraser would keep me warm in my lonely moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO good! Lise See is my fav though, so I think everything she does is good :p Hahah! I really need to try Outlander. I only hear great things!

      Delete
  10. I hadn't heard of the majority of these books! I love finding new titles and I've found quite a few that I'll have to add to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love reading! I'm so glad I got back into it after college. Currently reading the last book of the Eragon series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read those!! Aaaah someday hahah.

      Delete
  12. Ooh, I am loving how I keep clicking around on everyone's links and finding new-to-me books! I haven't heard of a lot of these titles but they sound like great reads. :)

    Thanks for linking up with us, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! Happy reading! ;)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for giving me some ideas! I have been looking for some books to read. I've never heard of any of these. Thanks for sharing them with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete