Friday, October 24, 2014

5 Fandom Friday: A Must-See List of Halloween Movies

5 Fandom Friday
Hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick!

Happy Friday! This weeks 5 Fandom Friday post is about our favorite Halloween movies. At first I wasn't sure exactly how to interpret this; are we talking movies ABOUT Halloween (such as the appropriately named Halloween franchise), scary movies in general (since we all associate Halloween with scary movies), or maybe your Halloween movie traditions? Since I couldn't decide, I decided to touch base on all of them!

1. Classics - Poltergeist

Poltergeist
But do yourself a favor and don't watch the rest of the series.

No horror movie list is complete without Poltergeist, I think. Just because it was made in 1982 doesn't mean it's lacking in thrills. In fact, I'd say this makes it on the list of scariest movies I've ever seen. It keeps you guessing (and scared), and the story is great. Don't be fooled by the PG rating! I watched it for the first time when I was maybe 15, and I couldn't look at clowns, trees, or mirrors the same way for a little while.

2. Scariest - The Poughkeepsie Tapes

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Obviously "scariest" is very relative, but for me, The Poughkeepsie Tapes is the scariest movie I've ever seen. I watched it years ago; I haven't watched it since, and there's no way you're gonna make me. I've heard some people say they had to sleep with the light on afterwards, but others that were pretty unfazed, so I guess it really depends. Movies with a bigger sense of realism are what freak me out, rather than something that's just a big gorefest (I like the gorey movies, too, they just aren't very scary to me). I also have this thing about horror movies with masks. I don't know, they just really freak me out. This movie feels really long because the suspense is really intense; suspense similar to Paranormal Activity, except not stupid and pointless (sorry, P.A. fans). Finding a copy of this movie isn't the easiest thing to do, but if you're looking for a creepy suspense flick and an excuse to never let your daughters out at night, this is it.

3. Best pick for your Halloween party - Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Throwback! We all remember this show, right? Ok, so it's a TV series rather than a movie, and they aren't particularly scary. It still has a sense of creepiness about it, and they're fun to watch when you want something a little dark, a little fun, and not scary enough to keep you up at night. Since they're short and the plot isn't too deep, you can leave them running in the background while you're friends are over as you're hanging out and eating candy. Which is exactly what I've done on multiple occasions, and it's always been really popular with my friends!

4 - A movie that's actually about Halloween (or is it?) - The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nightmare before Christmas


Another classic! I've always been a little unsure about this one, is it a Halloween movie, or a Christmas one? I guess it's both. I've always loved The Nightmare Before Christmas, even through that awkward period when Hot Topic was filled with it and all the "emo kids" had Jack and Sally plastered all over everything...but I digress. I have this badass and amazing Nightmare Before Christmas hoodie that I got at Disneyland (NOT Hot Topic), and it is still the warmest hoodie I own. I got the hoodie a million years ago, but I also had this weird habit of wearing my hoodies way too big back then. Now it fits me like it's actually supposed to. Yay!

5. One more movie just because I like it - Buried

Ryan Reynolds Buried

The premise is simple. Iraq-based American civilian truck driver Paul/Ryan Reynolds is attacked, and wakes up to find himself buried alive in a wooden coffin, with only a lighter, flask, flashlight, knife, glowsticks, pen and a mobile phone. Basically you could just call this movie "Ryan Reynolds in a Box," because that is literally all you'll see. That kind of sounds boring, though I think it's universally agreed upon that Ryan Reynolds is a pretty handsome dude, so things could be worse. But! The plot thickens! Why was Ryan Reynolds put in the box?! Will Ryan Reynolds ever get out of the box?! How does Ryan Reynolds get phone service in the box?! It's pretty intense. 

24 comments:

  1. I wanted to see Buried when it came out and never did! I might have to check to see if it's on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got some mixed reviews, but I LOVE it <3

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about Buries the other day because it is just a guy in a box and I was like - wait, more has to happen right? I've never seen it, I only saw the adverts and really wanted to see it. Maybe this Halloween :)

    www.northeastnerd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah that's exactly what made me want to see it!

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to see Buried for a while now, but I'm afraid it will freak me out too much. Stuff like that is one of my worst fears! And The Poughkeepsie Tapes sounds really interesting. I'll have to check it out (with the lights on, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought The Poughkeepsie Tapes was WAY scarier than Buried, but we're all different! Buried definitely makes you feel a bit claustrophobic though, hahah!

      Delete
  4. The Nightmare Before Christmas... always. And Hocus Pocus!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhh I was SO close to adding Hocus Pocus!

      Delete
  5. Totally with Zoe on adding Hocus Pocus and I love that you included "Are You Afraid of The Dark?" I used to watch that every day after school!
    - Kelly Ann Earls
    believeinadream.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Poughkeepsie Tapes look just like my kind of horror/scary movie! Atmospheric, non-gory spooky stuff is totally what creeps me out. :) I couldn't ever bring myself to watch "Buried" since I'm ridiculously claustrophobic. Just looking at that poster makes me sweat a little! My favorite scary movie is probably the Shining, although I love The Others, too (got to love some Henry James!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen The Shining yet (I know I know, hahah), but The Others was definitely creepy!

      Delete
  7. I recall you being scared of The Poltergeist for more than "a little while".

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary movies are not my jam so I usually stick with The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never watched Are You Afraid of the Dark. Maybe I should try it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun show! All the 90's clothes are sweet too, hahah!

      Delete
  10. I loved Buried! So much more than expecting for a movie about someone in a box. I totally cried at the end haha! Love Poltergeist; it's one of those classic horror flicks that everyone should see once. I haven't heard of the Poughkeepsie Tapes, but I love scary movies, so I'm definitely going to try and find a copy to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad by the end of Buried, hahah! "I'm sorry, Paul!" Waaahhh :'(

      Delete
  11. The Nightmare before Christmas is my favorite! I found out that all the episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark is now on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are?? That's awesome! Off to go check the out now hahah. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad I dropped by!I was looking for halloween movie inspiration and The Poughkeepsie Tapes seems like a perfect choice! I'm afraid of masks too.They make killers look even more un-human.Halloween Franchise is really spooky if you ask me! I was a chicken as a child, so I was a bit scared when watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? :) I would love if you share your movie selection with my halloween link up :
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2014/10/halloween-house-tour-link-up.html

    xx
    Mila
    milaslittlethings.com
    milawayable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love scary movies and Poltergeist is my all-time fave! The Exorcist is a movie that scared the bajeezus out of me and I will NEVER watch it again! Thank you for sharing with us at Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks for stopping by! I actually haven't seen The Exorcist yet?! Maybe I'll have to change that. If I'm brave enough!

      Delete