Friday, September 19, 2014

Read Play Blog!


I'm back again with this months Read Play Blog topic! This month we were asked to talk about our favorite gaming platform; and as always we'll also share a gaming recommendation and what we're currently playing. Let's get to it!

What is your preferred gaming platform?

Within the last 4 years I've mostly converted over to PC gaming. I also have an Xbox, which I still use sometimes (mostly to play Dynasty Warriors and Viva Pinata), but when Andrew introduced to me PC gaming I realized how much more I liked using a mouse and keyboard than a gaming controller. I also think some games are a lot more playable (for me, anyway) on PC than their console companions. For example, everyone knows that the Saints Row series is my absolute favorite. My first experience playing it was when Andrew bought me Saint Row: The Third on PC. I asked him why he didn't get it on Xbox (we share the PC, but he's hardly on the Xbox), and he said "just trust me on this one." I started playing, and it became a favorite within the day. Then, a few months ago there was a free copy of the same game being offered on Xbox Gold. I grabbed it, obviously, figuring it couldn't be that different. I started playing and had to rage quit after the opening mission. I guess I just suck at shooting things with a controller.

Another important factor is that you get the best deals on PC games. If you're a PC gamer that's not on Steam then I don't know what you're doing with your life. There's also Humble Bundle, where they offer bundles of PC games (usually indie games) for a pay-what-you-want price, and some of the money also goes to different charities! I think people are less likely to try and only pay $1 when they know some of it is going towards a good cause, hahah. The best bundle I ever bought from them was last year, when they offered Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2: Maximum Edition, Medal of Honor and Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box all together at pay-what-you-want price - BUT if you matched or payed more than the average price others were paying (which at the time I bought it was about $3.50) then you also received Battlefront 3 and The Sims 3 along with the started pack. Some of those games I don't care for, so I gave my brother the codes for some. But still, all that for $3,50?! Humble Bundle is the best.

My Recommendation: LIMBO



LIMBO is a puzzle-platform game, with one of the coolest and eeriest art styles I've ever seen. Some parts looked so creepy, I was scared to move forward! I don't play many scary games, but for some reason this one was drawing me in. 

Source

You play as young boy (we don't know his name or back story), who wakes up in a forest in the "edge of hell." According to the game description he's looking for his sister, but the game doesn't really make that clear as there's no words or talking. The whole story is kind of a mystery, and while intriguing, I do wish it had more of a story line. That's pretty much the only downside of this game.

Currently Playing: LEGO Lord of the Rings



I've played most of the LEGO games, but so far this one has been my favorite! I particularly enjoy playing as the different hobbits. I suck at being Legolas because I have bad aim, hahah.

Source

Fun fun :) What are you currently playing?

22 comments:

  1. i dont play many PC games... only the nancy drew mystery games haha they are so much fun. the LOTR lego game looks like so much fun, i've always wanted to play it (also the harry potter lego game!)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe,I remember playing Nancy Drew games!!! It's been awhile hahah. I should pick up another one soon.

      Delete
  2. Limbo was such a great game. I love the art and would love to have prints of some of the scenes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES TO STEAM AND HUMBLE BUNDLE! Those two things have been responsible for me craving and getting great games at a great price. :D (As I was typing this comment, I just went over to Humble Bundle to check out their End of Summer Sale and ended up buying a game for about a dollar.)

    Limbo books very cool and creepy, I'll have to get it next time I see it on sale! Although I'm such a chicken when it comes to creepy games. I'm sure I'll be freaking out halfway through. :P

    Thanks for participating, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I have to tell everyone about Humble Bundle!! It's so good :)

      I'm usually afraid to play creepy games, too. There are some I still won't play! Like Silent Hill, Amnesia, etc...

      Delete
  4. Wow, Limbo looks amazing! I love that art style. I don't PC game too much, but I might start trying some out when we get our new laptop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many of my gamer friends are on PCs! I have always been more of a PC game person, but I don't have time. Sims is always my favorite though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played a Sims game in so long! I remember playing it when I was a kid, but I never got around to the newer ones. I have Sims 3 (from the Humble Bundle), but I never played it because I was having trouble with the Origins client lol.

      Delete
  6. Yay I'm so glad to have another fellow PC gamer to relate to! I LOVE DYNASTY WARRIORS on the console btw, had so much fun with that game! I just love Steam so much, especially their end of year sales. I always end up buying games and not getting around to them.

    I've wanted to play Limbo for a while now, so thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dynasty Warriors is my guilty pleasure!! I usually only hear people say they hate it, hahah!

      Delete
  7. Ah, Dynasty Warriors! I love those games! I always get jealous of everyone with their awesome PCs and the Steam deals. Whenever summer rolls around my boyfriend gets super excited because of all of the Summer Sales that they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Steam Summer sale is SO GOOD! They get me every year, hahah. Dynasty Warriors on the Xbox is still the best, though!

      Delete
  8. I feel so strange among girl geeks because I do not play games! However I love to watch my husband play games... so I can watch his character get killed repeatedly. (Hello Vanquish, Demon Souls, Revengeance, and others.) However I realized that there are some really good stories in games, after getting hooked on, and now I'm anxiously awaiting The Order because it looks so damn pretty! I think I'm a game groupie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's cool too! There are tons of games that I'm really interested in the story but just don't want to play! Hahah. Thank goodness for spoilers on the internet.

      Delete
  9. I love this. I actually want to get into PC gaming... mostly because I am absolutely in love with the Elder Scrolls series, but my computer just does not have the power for online gaming. I play on Xbox 360 right now, but hubby and I are thinking of switching to PS4... mostly because it is less expensive to maintain, and there are just less all around issues with the PS. Also.... I LOVE the lego LOTR games. We are excited for the final installment of the Hobbit lego series. I think I've visited your blog in the past, but I am visiting today from the Geeky Connection facebook group :) Have a wonderful day :) I'll be following you from betternerdblog and nobleandpond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! After PC gaming I'm finding it hard to play much else! I agree about switching to a PS, though. I still use my 360, but I really regret getting it over a PS3 :(

      Delete
  10. Also..... I love your Favicon..... Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you! I don't think anyone else has said that before - but it's my favorite part of my layout!

      Delete
  11. My son loves Lego video games. So him and my hubby are playing Star Wars Lego on the Wii. I'm not that great at it. I miss playing WOW but our PC's are old and slow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We own Nintendo systems and play Fortune Street often. I am a PC gamer and love Steam! I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. :)

    ReplyDelete