Monday, September 1, 2014

It's Labor Day! Let's Talk About Our First Jobs.

Hey friends! I hope you've been having an awesome, extra long weekend. I was thinking with Labor Day and all that, it'd be fun to reflect on my first "real" job, as in bi-weekly paychecks and not getting paid under the table.

My first job was at a store called Ross: Dress for Less. If you haven't heard of it, it's a discount store like TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but it's cheaper and is known for always being a mess and having grumpy workers. People who shop there often complain about it.

This is a Ross store. Blue is their color.

Check out this review I just found on Yelp, published two months ago: "I love Ross!! I love coming here and taking my sweet time looking at every little thing they have, I know it's not super clean but what do you expect really. I could spend hours here. The only complain I have is the person attending the fitting rooms, they could at least smile!! Or not give you the stink face when you tell them something didn't work out and now they have to put it away, I HATE THAT! I mean common, your working customer service, if they hate it enough to not smile then work elsewhere."
Also a Ross store...and also from Yelp.

So now you know what Ross is like. WITH THAT SAID, working at Ross wasn't the worst thing to happen to me, and I consider myself lucky that they hired me at all. I started working there when I was nineteen, and I stayed for about two years. I'd been trying to get a real job as soon as I turned eighteen, but no one wanted to hire someone that only had "theatre stagehand" on their resume. I had a hard time just getting called for interviews - prior to Ross, the only place that interviewed me was Bath and Body Works, and obviously I didn't get that job. My interview at Ross lasted about five minutes, and we just stood in the front of the store and one of the managers asked me a few questions. When they called and offered me the job, I was having lunch with Andrew (who wasn't my boyfriend yet, I was still trying to decide if he was an ass), during our 1 hour break in between classes.

When I received "the call."

Later that day I went to Walmart with my mom, and she graciously bought me three blue shirts and one pair of black pants. My first shift was later that week, where I was paid to sit and watch introduction videos and take quizzes which deemed me "certified" for different things around the store. On my following shift, I started doing what I'd end up spending most of my time at Ross doing: picking up other peoples messes. As I said before, customers often complained that the store was a mess, but I'm not sure if they ever stop to think about who creates these messes. Sure, we were often understaffed, but if people weren't making such a mess in the first place it wouldn't be that big a deal. Oh well.

Eventually I started doing more than just picking things off the floor. Sometimes I'd work in the fitting room, which was the easiest job but got kind of boring. Sometimes I'd go in at 6:00am and unload the new shipments, which I really liked (aside from having to wake up at 5:00am). After strongly trying to avoid it for months, I also had to work on the cash register. Fortunately I wasn't on register too much, because I think they noticed how bad I was at it. They thought I was pretty good at everything else though, so it's alright. One time I was even employee of the month!

Sorry, I had a really bad camera phone back then. 

Finally, I shopped there a lot. I had a 20% discount, and when everything in the store was already discounted, it was hard not to shop all the time. I've always liked purses, so that was a big weakness. My favorite purchase was also the very first thing I bought with my discount - a purple and black Betsey Johnson cross-body purse. I still use it today! I also bought my backpack that I lug to rehearsals there; it's green with hedgehogs :)

So that was my first job. What was yours?!

19 comments:

  1. I would love to work at Ross just for the discount lol! Luckily the Ross I go to isn't very messy at all... I do agree about the fitting room people though.., they tend to be so grouchy!

    Great post, I really enjoyed reading it :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to have a non-messy Ross! I've been to various ones all over California and they were all messy, haha!

      Delete
  2. I do not know how you dealt with the mess. The one my be looks like a hurricane went through every single time I go there. But they do have great deals. However one of the workers there did tell me I shouldn't wear that dress since I was "pregnant" yeah not pregnant just fat. Thanks lady. Enjoyed the dress then got her fired because I threw a fit and got the dress for free. It wasn't so great at the time because during my fit I cried the whole entire time. Probably why the person got fired because I was a mess. But she called me pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I woulda called her out too - what a jerk :( But hey, free dress! I bet you looked awesome in it.

      Delete
  3. My first job was at Banana Republic...I got a 50% discount there, 30% off at Gap and Old Navy, and 30% off sale. Guess where the majority of my wardrobe (to this day) comes from haha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, I would LOVE a discount like that! I shop at Old Navy allllllllll the time hahah.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of that store but it sounds like it might stress me out haha I do love discounts though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're got some crazy discounts! Especially in the purse department, hahah!

      Delete
  5. I've never actually been in a Ross, but noticed that there seem to be quite a few of them near me now. I want to go check it out and see if I can find some sort of good deal, but thanks for warning me that it might be a little messy in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, now that you know it might make it a little easier! I still recommend checking them out if you love a good deal!

      Delete
  6. I worked at JCPenney as my first job in the children's department, which was always a mess and had crazy children running around, haha. I respect retail workers immensely for their patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooo! There were always lots of kids running around crazy at Ross too, I hated it! Hahah.

      Delete
  7. I love that you looked at the positives of this job and made the most of it! Ross can be messy and you don't get the best service there, but I enjoy shopping there! I usually can find some great deals. Thanks for sharing this with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks :) I like trying to keep things positive (when I can, hahah). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I worked as a dishwasher at a place called the Hayward Fishery, many years ago. It was a happening place back in the day. Many athletes and others would come in. It was the scene of many parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that place, I bet it was a lot of fun to work at!

      Delete
  9. Stopping by from the link up! My first real job was a secretary at my mom's office - I did that for 3 summers and definitely helped me with my people skills since I was so shy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! I can really shy too so I feel ya hahah!

      Delete
  10. You didn't tell how you used to arrange the store shelves in the colors of the rainbow. Hahaha.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete