Monday, August 25, 2014

Read Play Blog!


Hey friends! I recently learned about this awesome blog meme (from Katherine, who is amazing). Read Play Blog is a monthly video game meme/discussion that goes live on the 16th of every month. It's hosted on Happy Indulgence Books and Read Me Away, who are both book bloggers who play games! That makes me smile :) Since I only learned about it this week my post is a little late, but I couldn't resist joining in on the fun. Every month there's a new gaming-related question to answer, and you also share one game recommendation, and what game you're currently playing. Let's get to it!

What's your favorite gaming genre?

I can't choose just one, I really can't. My favorite games aren't even in the same genre! I just don't know. Even when I was working at Gamestop and was borrowing different games all.the.time - I was never able to decide on a favorite genre. I have to pick a few, and they are action-adventure, hack and slash (sue me), and action RPG. While it isn't a genre, one common thread between all my favorite games is that they don't take themselves too seriously. I don't like horror games or anything too dreary. I like games that are witty, clever, and can make me laugh.


I'm still (and may forever be) on a huge Saints Row kick. Some people might say it doesn't take itself seriously enough, but whatever. I've already written about this game a handful of times, which you can check out right here if you like. Saints Row > Grand Theft Auto.

My Recommendation - The Stanley Parable

"The Stanley Parable is a first person exploration game. You will play as Stanley, and you will not play as Stanley. You will follow a story, you will not follow a story. You will have a choice, you will have no choice. The game will end, the game will never end. Contradiction follows contradiction, the rules of how games should work are broken, then broken again. This world was not made for you to understand. But as you explore, slowly, meaning begins to arise, the paradoxes might start to make sense, perhaps you are powerful after all. The game is not here to fight you; it is inviting you to dance."


It's hard to explain this game, because it's so many things all at the same time. The narration is my favorite part, as it's incredibly witty and fun. It's a weird game to play at first. You play as this guy, Stanley (or are you?), and you show up to your mundane office job to find that no one is there and the place has been ransacked. What happens next is entirely up to you. There are many different endings to this game, and they range from hilarious, weird, confusing, sad and downright terrifying. Do me a favor and watch the trailer:



Currently Playing


Right now I'm actually not playing anything super in-depth. I've been playing Hearthstone matches here and there, and sometimes I'll hop on Saints Row IV when Andrew isn't home (it runs better on his computer, hah)! I plan to start playing Thomas Was Alone again soon, because it has an expansion now! It is the most heartfelt yet frustrating game about jumping squares that you will ever play. I also really like the music :)

YOU ARE IMPORTANT, THOMAS! #SobsUncontrollably

So that's it for this month. I really love talking about games, but sometimes I don't know what to say. I think I like Read Play Blog because I can blab about games, but with guidelines to help keep me on track and motivated ;)

16 comments:

  1. Those sound like very interesting games. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't played video games in a very very long time. I actually miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I go through long periods where I just don't have time to game. For shame! Hahah.

      Delete
  3. This sounds awesome, I might join in next month :) I have already answered some simsr questions but if love to do recommendations every month

    Thanks for sharing

    hellocynicalbadger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join us! Hahah I'm so glad I was introduced to it :)

      Delete
  4. This makes me very happy! I'm not a gamer, but I do know how to create videogames, so I absolutely love it when girls play! I used to be a big Sims and Animal Crossing player, but I don't seem to have enough time in my day to read, let alone play games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how to make games?! That's so cool!

      Delete
  5. It's been so long since I've played any video games. I should definitely make time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for joining in Read Play Blog this month Natalie! I haven't actually played Saints Row but I know many people love it, it must be that amazing open world. This is a great reminder to play Stanley Parabble, it sounds totally up my alley! Can't wait to see your preferred gaming platform next month on the 16th :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks for stopping by! Can't wait for next month <3

      Delete
  7. I used to love playing games but it's been awhile! Thanks for sharing your favorites with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband loved these!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE The Stanley Parable! I must of spent about 5 hours on the first night playing it over and over again! I was gifted Thomas Was Alone, but haven't had the chance to play it yet, and I've seen play throughs of Saints Row on youtube (which were hilarious) it looks like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome!! I was also super hooked on it that first night, hahah! Then after I thought I found everything - there was more!

      Delete