Sunday, August 17, 2014

Buy for Good: Unlock Hope

Today I'm back with another post in the Buy for Good series, and I'm really excited to share it with you :) I think this might be my favorite one so far, but as I've been so busy, I've had to put off writing about it for weeks. Sigh. So, today we're talking about a company called Unlock Hope!

Unlock Hope Uganda

"In Uganda, young girls aren't given the same chances as boys.  Without access to education they often marry young, have large families that they are unable to care for, and are forced to work difficult jobs for very little pay.  We believe educating these girls is the first step in ending a seemingly never ending cycle of poverty in Africa.  Help us Unlock Hope in their lives for a better future." - unlockhope.com

So what's up with the key? In Uganda many children wear a key around their neck, which unlocks a box that holds all of their belongings. When you wear an Unlock Hope necklace you can think of all the girls in Africa who are wearing theirs, and be reminded of the difference you're making!

Unlock Hope Uganda

"To unlock something means to make something previously in-accessible available for use. Hope is defined as a desire of good accompanied with a belief that is is obtainable. To a young refugee in Uganda hope is an education. We want to remove every roadblock in their way and make sure they can receive the education that will give them hope for a future. While we will continue to provide food, we will also provide assistance with housing, utilities, staff, medical expenses, clothing, educational expenses, and more through the sales of our products. Your purchases will support these girls in every aspect of their lives." - unlockhope.com

Unlock Hope Uganda

As I was unwrapping my necklace, I was surprised to also find this little patch! In Uganda, children are required to wear a patch on their school uniform, which has a crest signifying which school they attend. Unlock Hope also makes t-shirts, and this design that they often use is based on one of those crests. Each school has a motto, so they borrowed one that says "Be known for good work." Sounds good to me! I'd love to put this patch on something, but I haven't decided what. I don't have one, but I think it'd look really nice on a denim jacket.

Unlock Hope Uganda

I really love wearing my key necklace :) Most people don't know what it is, and sometimes they'll ask me why I'm wearing a key around my neck, or sometimes they'll say "What's wrong with that key?" Hahah. I use these questions as an invitatian talk to them about what it really means (I keep it short, because I don't want to be that person, but you know).

I'd love to hear what you think! If necklaces aren't your thing, maybe check out their selection of shirts? This one's my favorite, and I'm sure you'd look awesome in it ;)

46 comments:

  1. what a great idea, and an awesome necklace!! :)
    keepcalmandchiffon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute necklace, love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post, great cause and great necklace! XO, Nicole

    www.empirestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! What a great company and their product is adorable for such a great cause. I'll definitely be saving this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and that it supports an amazing cause! I see me getting one of these keys in my future!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The necklace seems like a good conversation starter to get people to learn about the hardships girls in Uganda face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fabulous. The key is a great idea and reminder for the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for bringing attention to this company and product. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! Thanks for sharing about this company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. What an awesome cause! I love this necklace! I may have to look into buying one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Don't forget the free shipping code ;)

      Delete
  11. I love this necklace and cause!! I can't wait to get one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, yay! I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  12. A great way to create for a cause. From WW linky, Aquariann.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is a great worthwhile project and what a great conversation starter to explain what it is for. I would carry cards with me with the info, just sayin. Never know when they would look at it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I might have to do that soon ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Love the necklace! Such a great cause to support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! What a great conversation started to be able to share this cause with others. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a unique idea! It would make such a sweet, meaningful gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THAT is such a cool idea! I feel like that would make a great giveaway to build awareness. Do you want to co-host it with me? Sent me an email: theartisticbrunette@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a neat idea and I like all the meaning tried to the key. As for the patch, I think it would look cool on a messenger bag, recycle grocery bag, or backpack as well as a jacket like you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Those are all great ideas. Now I'm off to sift through my bags to choose the perfect one for it, hahah!

      Delete
  19. Love this! I am going to order one today. Found you on the SITS Sharefest.

    Http://www.LivingHappierAfter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I'm so happy to hear that!! I hope you love your necklace as much as I love mine!

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful cause and a fantastic necklace! Definitely going to go check them out!

    www.raising-humans.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea. I should do something like this during my travel the world in books challenge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do like the key. That patch would look great on a denim jacket.
    I read a wonderful book called Kisses From Katie (Katie Davis)
    It's about a young lady who went to Uganda and stayed.

    I'm visiting from Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good! I'll have to check out that book during my next library trip!

      Delete
  23. I love this!! Checking it out now!

    ReplyDelete