Tuesday, July 1, 2014

10 Things I Keep in my Summer Bag

I forgot to introduce it in my last Summer themed post, but like the button  indicates, I'm taking part in a Summer blogging challenge! It's hosted by a wonderful girl named Charolette, who blogs over at Velvet and Vinyls. I'll be doing this all Summer long, and each week has a new prompt. A few bloggy friends were doing it, so I decided to join in. I was considering skipping this second prompt (it isn't really my style), but since I'm trying to make myself blog more I thought getting out of my comfort zone could be beneficial. This weeks prompt was "Summer Essentials/What's in Your Summer Bag," so let's give it a go!


Like I mentioned in my last Summer post, Summer is a hard season for me. It's too hot, which is a problem in and of itself, but it's also a catalyst for other annoyances. Being too hot makes me a number of things: gross, cranky, sleepy, more gross, and kind of a jerk, to be perfectly honest. Does it sound like I'm insufferable? I try to avoid these things as best as I can, which involves toting around a few more things than I would any other season. Let's take a look.


The most important thing is picking the right bag. The more obnoxious looking, the better. It's good to have options, because not all adventures are the same. These are a few of the bags I have in rotation right now (don't ask me how many bags I really have, I'm not brave enough to admit that yet). I'm a big fan of cross body bags, because I leave things everywhere so it's just a better idea for things to stay attached to me. Also, hands free is always nice when you're running around. Both the LEGO bag and the (Saints Row) purple Betsey Johnson bag I use for day to day adventures; they're medium sized with lots of pockets to keep things organized. If I only need to carry a couple things (phone, wallet, keys), I'll opt for a lighter bag, like the little one behind it. I'm almost never carrying only "a couple" things, but yeah. Sometimes it feels like you're carrying all the crap in the world, and you'll need a BIG bag. In this case I don't recommend cross body bags. Your shoulder will thank you. For this I've been using the pink Harujuku Lovers bag up top (you can't see the handles, but there's two short ones, like an average tote bag). When that's not enough, you can use a backpack, as long as you aren't going somewhere where losers will think you're still in highschool. I am really in love with my hedgehog backpack. Lately I've been using it to lug all my things to Romeo and Juliet rehearsals.

I spent a little more time talking about the bags themselves than I planned (I love bags ok), so let's go on to what I actually keep in them. Since we're talking about Summer, I've left out the more typical all year round things we carry, like my phone, keys, tampons and all that junk.

what's in my bag
I haven't mastered the art of taking beautiful, catalog-like blog photos yet. Obviously.

1. A good book
, because you never know when you'll have some time to just enjoy the weather (assuming it's not sweltering that day) and read another chapter.

2. Sunscreen, because sunburns and skin cancer suck. Depending on how long I'll be gone I might carry two, one for my body and another for my face. This year I started using Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30. I really like it. For body sun lotion I'm not really picky.

3. Sunglasses! I don't actually wear sunglasses very often, because I have to wear my normal glasses to see. Sometimes I wish I had contacts, just so I could wear sunglasses whenever I want. I still carry a pair around, for when I'm riding in a car on a sunny day, or lounging outside and don't have to worry about seeing too much (hah). I'm a big fan of my "Premium Shades" that I bought at The Color Run. They're nothing fancy, but they make me happy and they get the job done.

4. Travel size face wash. I don't always carry this with me, but if I plan to be out all day then I will. Being outside in the Summer can get really gross, ok? Sometimes I'll bring face wipes instead, but my sensitive skin usually isn't down for that. I'm using the Paula's Choice Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser. I'd never tried it until recently, when I was sent a bunch of trial sizes from BzzAgent! They usually send full size products, but said for this campaign they were unable to, and sent enough trial sizes to make up for a regular size one, hahah. I think I'm happier that they sent the little ones, because they're perfect for my bag!

5. Tinted lip balm. Lip gloss and lipstick are NOT THE BUSINESS in the heat. I think they feel so heavy and gross. I'm a big fan of tinted lip balms, particularly Maybelline Baby Lips (despite the gross name). They're really affordable (usually around $3.00), great moisture and depending on the shade, good pigmentation. My favorite one is Grape Vine, which isn't as purple as you think, I promise. Another favorite are the Tinted Lip Shimmers from Burt's Bees. Mine is in "Fig," and I use it when I want a bit more color.

6. Hair bands/clips. I always, ALWAYS, need the option to pull my hair back! My hair is very thick, heavy and fine, so I always use hairbands with some form of rubber gripping otherwise I'd be fixing my messy bun all day.

7. Wristlet wallet. I really like that my wallet doubles as a wristlet. When I just need to run in the store for a minute I can leave my bag in the car/at home and simply carry this. The pockets are also big enough that I can stash my phone or something inside, too. Mine is Steve Madden, but I bought it at Ross Dress for Less for about $10.00 if I remember correctly, hah! Don't ever pay full price for designer gear. I love my wallet, but I wouldn't have paid the original $60.00 labeled on the Steve Madden tag - yeesh.

8. Refillable water bottle. Drinking water is SO IMPORTANT! I can't stress this enough. I literally bring one everywhere I go. Yes, it makes me pee a lot, but whatever. When I haven't drank enough water I can feel it in my body, and it's not fun. In the cooler months I usually just carry a mini bottle and refill it as needed, but when it heats up I carry a bigger one. The one pictured is a Contigo bottle, but I wouldn't really recommend it. This is my second one and both have ended up leaky! I plan to get a different kind soon. I've been thinking of a glass one, but I'm so clumsy that I'm worried I'll break it!

9. Oil absorbing tissues. My skin can get really oily (ew), so these really in handy. Mine are from Mary Kay, which I love, but there are other options too. If you've ever heard about using brown paper napkins or (clean, obviously) toilet seat covers as a face tissue - it's all true! They work just fine. I only keep my Mary Kay ones around in case of gross face emergencies.

10. Snacks! Ok, I don't always carry snacks, but sometimes I do. When a friend wants to go on a day trip to San Francisco or some kind of all day festival, I like to have a little snack to tide me over in the case I get hangry hungry, and there's no decent food options around.

So I guess I carry around a lot of stuff. What can I say? I like to be prepared.

What do you keep in your Summer bag? Let me know! Do you have a similar post on your blog? Leave me a link and I'll check it out! Because I totally need to know about more things to lug around with me.





19 comments:

  1. Great ideas about the face wash & the oil absorbing sheets! I hate feeling gross after being in the sun all day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling gross is the WORST and I can't let it ruin my Summer! Hahah.

      Delete
  2. I carry around so much stuff, too!! I feel you on the sunglasses - I can't believe I wear contacts now and have the best sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous! I tried contacts before and I just couldn't get the hang of it :/

      Delete
  3. I decided I need to start carrying an extra swim suit around with me! I live in Florida just 20 minutes from the beach, so I go to the beach or pool with friends at a moments notice. It's great to be prepared. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I need to go swimsuit shopping still, but I may do the same thing! I don't live near the beach, but everyone seems to have a pool lol.

      Delete
  4. I always try to carry a book with me,just in case I get stranded or stuck in traffic. Travel sized face was is a great idea for summertime. I will be adding that to my bag asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Hahah I hate being stuck somewhere without a book!

      Delete
  5. I've never tried a tinted lip balm, so now I'm interested in trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obsesssssssssed with tinted lip balms! I love that pretty much every makeup company has jumped on the bandwagon with them :)

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of travel size face wash! that would come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah it really does!! I don't use it often, but on the days I really need it I'm glad it's in there!

      Delete
  7. I'm so bad at drinking water! I need to keep a water bottle on my person more often during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drink ALL THE WATER! Maybe try an infuser water bottle! Adding a little fruit in there makes a huge difference!

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with being prepared! And by the looks of your pile, you definitely are prepared for lots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrying a water bottle is a great idea! Why haven't I thought of that?? I love your summer bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know how I'd survive without bringing water everywhere! Maybe I am just a special snowflake, hahahah.

      Delete
  10. I love that you have a summer bag! I think that's a great idea. :) I also love that you carry face wash with you, too. That's a BRILLIANT idea, especially in the summertime. My face gets oily, too, so I usually slip in some face wipes or something but I like the idea of face wash, too!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to carry face wipes, until I noticed how much they were irritating my skin! Carrying face wash might not be the most practical idea, but it sure feels great when you're having a long day :)

      Delete