Thursday, July 10, 2014

Made with Code

Hi friends!

Recently I learned about something really neat that Google's doing, and it's called Made with Code!



(info from the Made with Code site)

What is Made with Code?

Made with Code is an initiative to champion creativity, girls, and code, all at once. The movement is designed to do three things: To inspire girls by celebrating women and girls who are using code to do great things; to engage girls to try coding through introductory projects and resources; and to sustain their interest by creating alliances and community around girls and coding.

Why did Google launch Made with Code?
Made with Code builds on our long­-standing commitment to increasing diversity in Computer Science. Since 2010 they're invested $40 million in organizations like Code.org, Girls Who Code, NCWIT and Black Girls Code. They are committing an additional $50 million over the next three years to further these efforts.

Google started Made with Code because even though increasingly more aspects in our lives are powered by technology, women aren’t represented in the companies, labs, research, creative arts, design, organizations, and boardrooms that make technology happen.

Computer Science can make the world more beautiful, more usable, more safe, more kind, more innovative, more healthy, and more funny, but they need to help more girls find relevant ways to interact with it. 

Cool, right? On the website there's some activities and projects to help you learn about coding. One of them is to use programming lingo to design and code a bracelet that will be 3D printed and mailed to you! You can design one right here. I made one as soon as I learned about it, and it came in today! I couldn't think of anything clever, so I just made it say my name, hahah. I love the color! It's Saints Row purple ;)

Made with Code


Here's the letter it came with:



Fun! On the website they also keep a calender to help you find things like coding classes and game workshops for young girls. It makes me wish I was younger, so I could go too! Hahah.


13 comments:

  1. This is perfect. Girls need to be empowered to try EVERYTHING, not just what we may think is "conventionally girly" - brava for sharing with us about this! Each link I'm finding at the end of the SITSSharefest linky is making me smile... and oddly grateful for showing up late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! :) I'm glad you found me on SITS - I almost didn't bother posting my link because there was already so many posts there!

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! I'm going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do iiiiitttttttttt! FYI the bracelet is pretty small, and that's coming from someone with really small wrists! It's still really cool though and I love looking at it, LOL.

      Delete
  3. That is the coolest idea! I need to make this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like too that they combine teaching code with traditionally girly things like jewelry. Things don't NEED to be feminine in order for girls to like them, but I think it helps to have femme options in area where girlier girls are usually alienated, like computer tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think another good thing about mixing the "girly" things with coding is that there is big misconception that coding only involves things that typically only interests men - when that isn't true at all! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Stopping by from the Jack of All Trades link-up :) I always wish I knew more about code.. I run into issues with it on my blog all the time. It's really cool that Google is doing this initiative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Coding has always been my biggest blogging issue, hahah. Learning slowly but surely :)

      Delete
  6. So neat, I'd never heard of this before!
    Thanks for linking up with JOAT!

    ReplyDelete