Tuesday, July 15, 2014

DIY No-Sew T-Shirt Headband

So two weeks ago, as I mentioned before, I made a few of these:

DIY tshirt headband

I like it well enough and still wear it on crazy hair days. It's comfortable and easy. I thought about writing about making them, but then I decided not to because I was like, "I made this in minutes, no ones cares." So I didn't want to feel embarrassed by posting a lame DIY that no one cared about. More time went by, and I continued wearing it. Some people were like, "Oh, that's cute" (I don't normally wear things on my head), which was nice and I thanked them. But THEN, some other people were like, "I saw one like that at Anthropoligie/Forever 21/SomeOtherStore, I almost bought one!" 

That last part is when I decided to write about it. I mean, obviously I've seen these around before too, but I knew it wouldn't be hard to make my own. So yeah, if you want one, make one! Save your money. It literally only took a few minutes! Mine is easy peasy as can get, but if you're better with a needle and thread than I, then it can be even more legit and it would only take a couple extra minutes. Here's how to do my no-sew version :)


What you'll need:
- 1 old t-shirt (I've been using size medium and larges, any bigger and it'd probably be too big for your head)
- Scissors, or rotary cutter if you're fancy (I've always wanted one, everyone on Project Runway uses one! Also I've been working with fabric alot lately)

Step 1 - Lay your shirt on a flat surface and cut off the bottom hem. Starting at the bottom and going up towards the collar, measure 4-5 inches and cut it off. It should be one big loop. I'm using a tie-dye shirt to make things a little more interesting! My family is big on tie-dying so there's always old tie-dye shirts around. If you don't have any around and aren't grossed out by it, thrift stores are a great place to look for tie-dye (or other patterned) shirts.

My work table has been through a lot.

Step 2 - Next, put your hands inside the loop and streeeeetch it out so the edges curl in, like this. The loop is going to get noticeably bigger, but that's ok. You want everything to curl in, otherwise people will know that we were too lazy to hem the fabric.

In hindsight, it would have made a lot more sense to have someone else take this picture for me. 

Step 3 - Twist your loop in the middle twice. It looks almost like an infinity sign thing!

Moved to my other table for this shot, which unfortunately isn't much better.

Step 4 - I know this has been a grueling process, but stick with me, we're almost there. Keeping it on the table, grab one of your infinity loop things and place it on top of the other infinity hoop thing. I don't know the best way to describe this motion but I am 100% confident that you'll figure it out.



...annnnnd you're done! If you're having trouble keeping it from sliding up or down your head, try sticking a bobby pin in the back. Ta-dah! Throw on your new headband and be one of those effortlessly cool boho chicks on Instagram.

DIY tshirt headband

Pictured is the most literal bedhead I've ever posted. I should probably be embarrassed, but whatever. I sleep with my hair in a top bun (can't stand my hair getting everywhere when I sleep), so I woke up this morning, started some coffee, and took this picture. That's also why I'm not showing my face, hahah.

What do you think? Would you wear one? I admit I don't wear mine everywhere, but I like them for lazy days, or when I'm doing something and don't want my stupid hair wispies flying around ;)

28 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of making some of these. I have a 20's haircut so it would be very flapper-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look great! I used to have much shorter hair, I kinda miss it!

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT! I saw your sew post and loved that too but... well I just don't have time to sew right now! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fro and I wear a lot of headbands, will be making myself one of these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would look amazing with your fro!

      Delete
  4. These look great :)

    I will have to try and make one :)

    Thanks for sharing #WW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog for the past few weeks from the summer blogging challenge and I tagged you in the writing process (if youve already done it or dont want to do it thats fine! I just need some people to tag lol)

    heres the post http://throughbrighteyes.weebly.com/blog-home/the-writing-process

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and I'm so glad you shared the tutorial! Easy to do and what a great finished product!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cute! I will have to try it with a few of my old shirts. Headbands are a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For a long time you couldn't make me wear anything on my head, but this year I've been going through a headband phase, hahah!

      Delete
  8. It looks great, and I would definitely wear one. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing. I'm sending this to my daughter who wears lots of headbands. She'll love it. I saw this on The SITS Sharefest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely boho chic! Very cute! Found you on the SITS DIY post on Facebook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What a great idea! So cute! I will have to try this. I like the No Sew part. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, the no-sew is my FAVORITE part!

      Delete
  12. Ohhhh it's from an old shirt! I agree! There is so much you can make on your own and save your money. Simple and easy is a plus. Thanks for sharing with us at the Creative Style Linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! It seems really easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Love anything that's no sew.
    Kim @ This Ole Mom

    ReplyDelete