Monday, July 28, 2014

Buy for Good: Pura Vida Bracelets

Today I wanted to talk about a company I learned about recently, and I think you'll really like them. They're called Pura Vida Bracelets :) I love their story, and of course I also love their bracelets. They're colorful and easy to wear, but my favorite part is that they all represent an amazing cause.

Pura Vida Bracelets
via puravidabracelets.com

"The phrase “Pura Vida” (pu·ra vi·da) means "pure life" in Spanish. Enjoying life slowly, celebrating good fortune and not taking anything for granted embodies the Pura Vida Lifestyle. It's about being free and living life to it's fullest with no regrets or taking anything for granted; it's an attitude."

Each hand crafted bracelet helps provide full time jobs for artisans in Costa Rica. Pura Vida also has a Charity Collection line of bracelets, where you can choose a bracelet that donates directly to a charity you're passionate about. You can also submit your own charity! I plan to order the "Not For Sale" bracelet, which donates to the Not For Sale campaign that is dedicated to stop human trafficking. Not For Sale originated in the Bay Area - that's where I live!

Pura Vida Bracelets

A small detail I love about Pura Vida Bracelets is that they're wax coated, making them waterproof! Go swimming, take a shower, do whatever you want, they'll be fine! When I was a teenager my friends and I had this weird thing about never taking our bracelets off, and it reminded me of those years. I'm not really sure why we did that, though? Hahah. Above are the two bracelets I have; I decided not to get any with beads or charms since I do a lot of heavy lifting at work. The purple one is from their regular line, the red and white one is from the Charity Line, and donates to the Japan Tsunami Relief :) 

What do you think? I love being able to support a cause, and I think aside from directly donating, one of the best ways is to "buy for good," which is buying products that donate to a cause. When I'm wearing something like Pura Vida bracelets, sometimes people will say something like, "Hey, I love your bracelets!" After thanking them, I use it as an opportunity to tell them (hopefully without talking their ears off) where I got them, and what they mean. Who knows, maybe they'll feel inspired and buy some too?

I hope you enjoyed this post. Buying for good and shopping ethically is something I've always cared about, but recently it's something I've been trying to become a lot more involved in. I even have another post similar to this one, with a different organization, coming up soon! If this is something that interests you guys as well, I'm thinking of starting an ongoing series of posts on the subject, so I'd love your input!

Shared on A Harvest of Blessing :)

35 comments:

  1. I love these bracelets - they are so perfectly delicate AND they do something good for the world? That's jewelery perfection if I ever saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love them! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I love jewelry that also has a great cause behind it...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty, and what a beautiful cause! I love the NFS campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I only recently learned about NFS, but I'm so happy I did!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I like these! It's also nice when there is a good cause behind them. Thanks for linking up with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the infinity one! Sadly I am really poor at the moment but will remember them when I have extra cash. #ww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I feel you, hahah! Luckily the ones I got were only $5 each! I also might be able to get you a 50% off coupon, if you decide to get some in the future

      Delete
  6. Definitely will be checking this out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pura Vida! I love that phrase! I went to Costa Rica several years ago and the phrase definitely stuck with me. Now I want a bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! I've been meaning to start a bracelet collection, with one from each city I visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cool idea! I think these would definitely be great for that :)

      Delete
  9. I love companies that do this! I've even thought about starting one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I have also been toying with that idea! I already have an idea of what I'm going to make/sell for it, I'm just working out some design kinks :)

      Delete
  10. Those are so cute! I've been looking for some simple jewelry I can wear that doesn't have too many things that little ones can pull and these will work great! Plus they help charities... what could be better?!

    Found you through the Hump Day Happenings party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like them. I agree, these would be perfect to wear around little ones! Win-win. If you like I can send you a 50% off coupon, just shoot me an e-mail :)

      Delete
  11. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing with us. I want to shop like this more and wish these types of items were available in more stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! I wish that, too. I don't mind ordering things online, but I feel like I would know about so much more (and so would others), if they were sold in more stores! There is a locator on their site that shows you stores that sell them, but the closest one to me is about an hour away! I've heard they used to sell them at Zumiez as well, but I can't confirm that because I try to avoid the mall :x

      Delete
  12. I will definitely be checking this out! Supporting a good cause and also getting cute accessories?? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! I love things for a cause and especially that they provide actual work for people too :) Thanks for linking up and sharing about these!
    -S.L. Payne, uncommongrace.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember wearing my bracelets everywhere too! And wearing friendship bracelets in the shower and waiting hours for them to dry!

    These looks great, going to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes, the shower part was the worst! I really should have just taken them off sometimes, hahah!

      Delete
  15. They're so pretty, and I love their story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this at the #SHINEBlogHop! I never would have knew that this cause existed - and good for you for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  17. I love organizations like this! Thank you for sharing about them, more people (including myself) should be aware of these types of companies and how they can support great causes just by shopping for things they'd like to buy anyways. I'm glad I know about Pura Vida bracelets now. Thank you for sharing and joining Social Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  18. Thanks for sharing with us at Teach Me Tuesday. You are very much appreciated! We hope to see you back again this week. Starts tonight @ 8pm CST.

    http://3glol.net/2014/08/04/teach-tuesday-15/

    Have an awesome rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful bracelets for a wonderful cause! I'm glad the artists can donate to something like this. It's important to feel like you are working for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, too :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  20. these are cute! i love that they also donate to charities.. thanks for sharing!! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello your blog is sharing great information on this topic, we are providing
    Jade bangle
    Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete