Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Summer Reading List

Whether you prefer to do it sitting outside by the lake or inside with your AC blasting (no judgments), I think summer is a great time to get some reading done. Something about the season just screams ~relax (or whispers it, since we're ~relaxing and all that). After participating in a week full of Armchair BEA I've been wanting to read more than ever. I was already reading a lot to begin with, but now my "to be read" list has gotten out of control, and I want to read ALL THE THINGS right NOW. While my list of books I want to read is never ending, I do have a select few that I especially look forward to reading in the coming warm months. What's that? You want me to go swimming with you? Sorry, I'll be reading. Here's a small look at what my nose will be stuck in this summer :)


Songs of Willow Frostby Jamie Ford

Jamie Ford, Songs of Willow Frost

I first learned about the writer Jamie Ford waaay back in 2008, when my mom and I went to Book Group Expo in San Jose. We had a great time, but sadly, Book Group Expo isn't a thing anymore. When we got there we were given these awesome swag bags, and included was an advance readers copy of Jamie Ford's first book, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (you can find it in the same title link above). It's historical fiction, which is my thing, and it went on the be a bestseller. Anyway, his second book, Songs of Willow Frost, came out late last year, and sounds like it will be just as good as his first book. I meant to read it sooner, but...you know. This is the first book I plan to read this Summer!


China Dolls, by Lisa See

Lisa See, China Dolls

Lisa See is one of my FAVORITE authors, so I am beyond excited for her new book that just came out! She writes historical fiction (surprise). This book actually came out today (June 3rd), but by the time you read this it won't be the same day anymore, because I'm queuing this to post on Wednesday or Thursday, hahah. Anyway, I love all of her books. Her last one was called Dreams of Joy which came out three years ago, so I've been waiting on this for awhile. Her new book takes place in San Francisco. I think that's awesome, because I've been there a million times. I ordered this from the library, so I'm hoping it gets here soon!




I've mentioned before, but I still love Lemony Snicket books, even if they're for the younger crowd! He's so witty and full of dry humor. This book came out last year, but I hadn't even realized it was a thing until recently, and I ordered it from the library right away. File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents is a stand-alone book, so it's cool if you haven't read any of his other works yet. It's a collection of mini-mysteries, and you get to follow along with a young Lemony Snicket as he tries to solve them. Sounds fun, right?


Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire

Gregory Maguire, Egg and Spoon

Gregory Maguire can be sort of hit-or-miss for me, but I'm really looking forward to reading his new book, Egg and Spoon. I won an advanced readers copy with my Armchair BEA introductions post, surprised it hadn't been nabbed by someone else already. Sometimes his books can be a little difficult to read, especially when I'm just trying to relax; but I believe this one is actually a YA book so it should be a little easier on the brain. I normally hate YA, because teen angst, but I have high hopes anyway. It's about the Russian Baba Yaga, so it can't possibly be angsty. If you don't know who Baba Yaga is, I recommend finding out. She isn't someone you want to mess with!

That's all I have 100% planned, for now. Most of the things I read happen randomly, like I'll pick it up at a library sale and just start reading it. My reading list isn't usually planned out! If you want to keep up with my reading adventures, visit me on Goodreads!

Do you have any books you're looking forward to? Maybe something I should add to my list? I'm legitimately curious, so let me know! Or don't, no pressure ;)



23 comments:

  1. Most of my reading happens randomly too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favorite books were things I'd never heard of and picked up on a whim!

      Delete
  2. I love new ideas for my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm always looking out for new reads :)

      Delete
  3. Lemony Snicket books are the best! (plus thefact that this one was a gif entertained me for a good 10 minutes) I also tend to read books aimed for a slightly younger than me crowd... I also sometimes forget i am 19 and not 16 so there's that. However, this particular LS book looks very intriguing.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, right? At first I was just looking for a picture of the cover, but when I found that gif the clear answer was to use that instead ;) I don't read too many middle grade books anymore, but Lemony Snicket books will always be on my radar! I've been meaning to read his new series, "All the Wrong Questions," but I'm waiting for more of them to come out first. They're pretty short, and since there's only two of them out right now I don't want to start them and get impatient for more, hahaha.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your heart!
    I have been inspired to share my journey with Huntington's Disease. I would be honored if you would follow as i share my heart.
    www.livingwithpassion90.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your list!
    xo
    orly
    coffeebeansandhighheels.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll being adding these on my list of future reads!

    ♥Emma, from It's Emma Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it! :D

      Thanks for stopping by Emma, its been really fun getting to know you all on HCBN!

      Delete
  7. Great list :) I too hate waiting for the rest of the books to come out in a series. If it takes too long I have to start from the beginning and read the all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Torture, hahah! Sometimes I need to start back from the beginning too, so annoying :/

      Delete
  8. Thanks for these suggestions! I didn't realize Lemony Snicket had a new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I picked it up from the library today :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for stopping by to add your link to our Party, I appreciate that and I wanted to let you know that I have Pinned Your Photo to our Weekend Party Board,
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your book list looks awesome! Living in Italy I don't get to easily know the newest books to check out so I totally rely on reading others lists! Found you via Chaos and Kiddos for the Social Media Saturday linky and following on bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to start writing about books more often again, so hopefully you find something good to read! And if you're looking for something a little more specific, we should chat and I'll help you out! :D

      Delete
  11. I am always on the hunt for a new book to read. Thank you for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Oooh, I love hearing about various books and I haven't read any of these. I want to read the Bloggess' book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened. I don't get very many chances to read, so if I can do one book, that would be great!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was unaware that Lemony Snicket had a new book out! I used to adore reading his books when I was younger. I might just have to pick that up at the library soon. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I picked mine up from the library, but I haven't been able to start reading it yet. I hope to soon, and I'll let you know how it is!

      Delete