Friday, June 13, 2014

It's Friday the 13th! Let's talk horror movies.


Today was Friday the 13th, and there's a full moon tonight! Having them both at the same time hasn't happened in nearly a century, and the next one won't be until 2049! I mostly came here to talk about Friday the 13th and movies, but the moon thing was just a cool bonus because I only learned about it five minutes ago.

On Friday the 13th, when I can, I like to watch scary movies. Watching them any time is fun, but it just feels a little more fun on days like Friday the 13th or Halloween. I'm really picky with the horror movies I watch. That doesn't necessarily mean I have high standards (I like some really awful movies), but for some reason a lot of really popular horror movies don't interest me once I see them, or they don't live up to the hype.

The Ring is the perfect example for this. That movie came out when I was eleven, and everyone was saying that it was the scariest and best horror movie they'd ever seen (and I mean everyone, not just my eleven year old friends). I was more skittish back then, I didn't watch many horror movies, and I had no intention to watch The Ring anytime soon. For some reason, what all of those people said stuck with me. I never bothered watching The Ring until last year, and I was a little apprehensive about it. Even now I'm still a huge weenie (if it was actually SCARY), but I watch these movies anyway. I can't really explain why I enjoy torturing myself like this. Anyway, last year I watched The Ring, and I thought it was one of the most boring things I'd ever seen. I was scared to watch that? What a letdown.

Me watching The Ring and Blair Witch Project

I also watched The Blair Witch Project recently. For some reason I'd just never gotten around to seeing it. But really guys, I thought it was SO BAD. I almost fell asleep. I waited the whole movie for the action to pickup, or maybe even an actual story, but nah. While I'm at it, I'll also say that I didn't care for Paranormal Activity, Insidious (don't even get me started on 2), Cabin on the Woods or VHS. I'm sorry.

Alright, enough of the ramble. Here's a couple of movies I really think are scary.



The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Really, if you want to know about things that keep me up all night, this movie is all you need. It is 100%, without a doubt, the most frightening and unsettling movie I've ever seen. There is an alternate film poster for this that is much cooler and more scary looking, but I don't like looking at it, so I posted the boring one for my own sake. Years ago, I was hosting a little horror movie night at my house, and my friend brought a bootleg copy of this movie (the only kind of copy you'll find of it). Now, if I could, I'd smack him over the head for convincing me to watch it. This film is great at convincing you that it could be an actual documentary, and that it all actually happened. The bio explains it better than I do:

"A serial killer obsessively documents his career in carnage in this pseudo-documentary thriller. When police raid a house in upstate New York, they discover a profoundly disturbing record of one man's ugly crimes. A psychotic serial killer once called the house his home, and along with the implements of his grisly pastime, investigators find over 240 hours of videotape shot by the killer which present a visual record of his murders in all their horrifying details. Both state and federal law enforcement teams sift through the gruesome images, looking for clues of the slayer's identity, the identity of his victims, and where he could possibly have gone. But repeated viewings of the material reveal little beyond the terrible facts of the crimes, and as the authorities comb through the madman's images, they find the tapes have had a disquieting effect on them."

Don't watch if you're scared of Venetian masks, people lurking in your closet, or the possibility of being kidnapped. Or just don't watch it. I still check my closet every night.



I can't blame anyone but myself for watching this movie. A friend told me it was super terrifying for her, but when someone says something like that, it kind of just makes you want to see it even more, you know? Also, my friend lives all the way in Canada, so it's not like she forced me to watch. Anyway, I admit the bio sounds pretty basic/average home invasion movie:

"Explore your worst fears imaginable with this shocking suspense thriller inspired by disturbing true events. After a 4 a.m. knock at the door and a haunting voice, Kristen McKay (Liv Tyler) and James Hoyt’s (Scott Speedman) remote getaway becomes a psychological night of terror as three masked strangers invade. Now they must go far beyond what they thought themselves capable of if they hope to survive."

So basically these three assholes in creepy masks break into a couples vacation home and proceeds to terrorize them. If you haven't pieced it together yet, people in masks really get to me. And the possibility of someone hiding in my closet. I don't know why. SPOILER: That line on the poster, "because you were home," is an actual line from the movie, and it really freaked me out. The woman they're attacking cries, "why are you doing this to us?" and one of the masked people says, "because you were home." So there was no reason for them being there, they just FELT LIKE IT.

Don't watch if
 you're ever scared that you forgot to lock the front door, you don't like being home alone, or an unexpected knock at the door freaks you out. 

So there you have it. Now you know what scares me - please don't use this information against me. I need to stop talking about this now. I'll be going to bed soon and don't need to think about these things before trying to sleep! Before I go, a few questions:

- What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?
- Did you watch anything scary on Friday the 13th?


I'm legitimately curious, so let me know in the comments! I didn't watch a movie today, but I finally started American Horror Story: Asylum. So far I like it much better than the first season!

6 comments:

  1. You know what else was super overrated? The Exorcist. I've never thought it was that scary, but maybe that's because the sexuality of teenage girls doesn't freak me out:

    http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/11/11/what-the-ever-popular-exorcist-says-about-female-sexuality/

    I watched Sinister a while ago with my boyfriend. Pretty legitimately messed up, though the ending ruined it for me. Still very tight and some good scares.I don't know if it's the scariest I've EVER seen, though. That award (or at least, "the most messed up") might have to go to A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean), though it might be ruined for you because it was remade as The Uniinvited in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen The Exorcist yet, not sure why since it's a "classic" and all, but I don't feel like it would frighten me much. Especially not after reading that article. I didn't realize some of those little things mentioned there were part of the movie. Now I have even less interest in watching it, is THAT'S what's scaring people? C'mon. Thanks for sharing!

      I have seen A Tale of Two Sisters and I remember feeling very disturbed! I've been trying to make my boyfriend watch it, but he usually doesn't like reading subtitles -_- I haven't seen The Uninvited, I had no idea it was a remake! Maybe it's better that I haven't seen it, hahah.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a horror movie in my life but I don't think I could since I'm already paranoid as it is :D The scariest I've gotten is Alfred Hitchcock!

    A Thing of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Alfred Hitchcock has been called the "Master of Suspense," so I'd say that's pretty close! ;)

      Delete
  3. I can't stand scary movies!!! They give me nightmares for days lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize it was a full moon AND Friday the 13th! Cool! I'm not a big fan of scary movies because they typically bore me. I have seen some interesting ones though as I have a close guy friend and my boyfriend who really like scary movies. Sometimes I watch them because they pick them out. :)

    ReplyDelete