Monday, June 9, 2014

In a Snap!

Hey friends! Today I'm going to talk about shaving. I always avoid wearing pants whenever I can get away with it, so shaving is kind of important to me. At the same time, I don't like spending an arm and a leg on razors. Being a girl is hard.

Anyway, more specifically, we're going to talk about this tiny, adorable Venus Snap razor that Influenster sent me! Isn't it cute? I love tiny things. I don't normally do product reviews, so bear with me, ok?

If you look really closely, you can see my reflection in the case, in my Hello Kitty robe, taking the picture. Whoops.

It comes in this little blue case! The width is a little bigger than your standard makeup compact. I love that it makes it easy and convenient for traveling. I hope it's not just me, but I've packed razors multiple times in the past, only for them to get gunky and weird when I arrive. The case is plastic and not super sturdy, but it should hold up just fine as long as you aren't playing hacky sack or whatever with it.

Wow I guess I need to invest in an iron, huh?

Let's start with some facts and Venus's claims. As you can see, it's a short and squat (like me!) little razor. The handle is about 2 inches long, and the pink part is rubber to help you grip it. The razor heads have five blades, are replaceable, and can be swapped with any Venus refill. The blue around the razor head is the "moisture ribbon," which helps smooth things out, and claims you won't need shaving cream/conditioner/soap/your lathering option of choice. I like taking shortcuts, so I was really hoping that claim was true.

How did it really work? Pretty good. On the first shave (from here on, one "shave" equals one shower session, shaving both legs and underarms) the moisture ribbon was doing its job, and glided effortlessly. No pulling or irritation; I didn't even feel anything, really. After drying off, I wasn't particularly dry, but I needed lotion just like I always do after I shave.

I made sure to set the razor outside of the shower so it could dry properly. Have you ever left a razor in the shower accidentally, and you come back and the moisture strip has melted off in a gloopy mess? The worst. Anyway, when I looked at the razor again later that day, the moisture ribbon hadn't melted off (yay), but I could see that most of it had been used up already during my shower that day. That was a bummer.

Now, in my opinion, a razor is only as good as its reuse value. I'm not going to shell out money for a razor that's only good for one use. I didn't want to write a half-ass review, so I waited until I needed another shave and tried again. It still worked pretty well the second time, but not AS well. Since a good portion of the moisture ribbon was already gone, I used a bit of conditioner to smooth things out, just in case. I have sensitive skin, so I didn't want to be too risky. Finally, I waited until I needed to use it AGAIN, and tried a third time! This is where things get a little dicey. It provided an alright shave, but not great. Think of those 2 bladed Bic razors; not awesome, but it'll do.

Overall, this was just an ok razor for me. The first two shaves were really nice, but the price doesn't make it worth it for me. The razor itself is almost $10.00, and doesn't come with any replacement heads. The refill cartridges are around $15.00 for a 4 pack. I like the idea behind it, though. The size and case make it really convenient for a weekend getaway, just throw it in your bag and go! 

I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes. All views and opinions are my own!

6 comments:

  1. I love the size for travel, but definitely don't like the price of it! I used to use Venus and then switched (I think it was because of price). It would make a great travel companion though! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaa the price is what got me too, but I'll definitely still keep this around for when I travel :) I like the other Venus ones alright, but I just can't spend that much for something I go through so quickly!

      Delete
  2. I so need a good razor! My skin is really sensitive & I get cuts so easily, so I need to buy the fancy ones. I've had good luck with Venus, so I will check this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I feel you! I love the fancy ones, but my wallet doesn't hahah. If you try it let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. "It's short and squat (like me)" - LOL - love that part of your review.

    I hate shaving. Seriously hate it. My legs never look like their shaved because I have course, dark hair. It sucks. I appreciate the honest review. The price seems a little too steep for my liking.

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I hate it too! Stupid summertime!

      Delete