Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Armchair BEA: Short Stories

Hey everyone! Today is the third day of Armchair BEA, and today's topic is about short stories! Since I'm typing this right before work, it won't be as long or detailed as I'd like. I still wanted to join in while I have the chance, though ;)

My favorite short story writer is Harlan Ellison, although his work isn't something I'd recommend for everyone. Most of his stories fall into the speculative fiction genre. Some of his stories have been very controversial, some have been very successful, and some have been both!

My favorite of his short story collections is called The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World. I have an autographed copy that I got for Christmas! However, my favorite story is not in that collection. My favorite of his stories is called I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. If the title doesn't give it away...it's kind of freaky, hahah.

The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World

P.S. If you're interested in some extra reading, I found this article with a writer talking about his top 10 favorite Harlan Ellison stories. I don't agree with his list 100%, but it's interesting either way :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm visiting a lot of the short story posts today and making a list of collections to check out. I've never really read short stories but hope to love them as much as everyone rose.
    Ashley (Closed the Cover)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I hope you find some you enjoy. I'm really picky with mine, hahah.

      Delete
  2. I like seeing all the short story recommendations. I have been kind of hit and miss on short story collections of late, though have done better with novellas (particularly the ones that are part of novel series).

    Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't regularly read short stories, either! I'm a fan of novellas in part with a series, though. I like building my relationship with a character, which is a lot harder (for me) when reading short stories. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking up on the Bloglovin' Blog hop this week. :) p.s. Following you now on Twitter and Instagram.

    Cheers,
    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! Followed back :)

      Delete
  4. Don't forget the Star Trek: TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever"! Okay, it's one of my least favorite episodes, but the teleplay won a couple of awards (the only awards any TOS episode ever won, I think) and I think there's like his ~unedited~ manuscript available for purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes! I've seen the episode, but I haven't seen much Star Trek otherwise, hahah. I do believe you can buy the manuscript somewhere, and it's also being made into a comic book! It's scheduled to come out sometime next month.

      Delete