Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Armchair BEA: More than Just Words

Today's topic for Armchair BEA is called "More than Just Words," and we're focusing on other forms of storytelling. I decided to use this as an opportunity to share some of my favorite graphic novels, manga, and comics! I've always loved them. When I was really young, I started off reading comic strips in the paper. When the first live action X-Men movie came out in 2000, I got really into superheros and started reading Marvel and DC comics (don't ask me to pick a side, because I won't). In my teens I was really obsessed interested in manga and anime - I even went to a few conventions and festivals dedicated to them! Nowdays, I have a fond appreciation for all of these types of storytelling. Listed below are just a few of my favorites.


American Born Chinese, by Gene Luen Yang
American Born Chinese
Three hilarious, separate stories that merge their way into one, all dealing with a boys experience as an Asian American.


Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi
Persepolis
It's a true story, and check out the movie, too!


Fullmetal Alchemist series, by Hiromu Arakawa
Fullmetal Alchemist
This one's a little more "out there," but is my favorite in this entire list! I'm kind of obsessed. I've read all the books, watched all the anime, seen the movies and played the (really terrible) video games. LOVE.


Yotsuba&! series, by Kiyohiko Azuma
Yotsuba&!
Another manga! This one is the most fun, hilarious and lighthearted on the list. There's no main storyline, so hopping from book to book isn't really an issue.


Runaways series, created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona
Runaways
This is my favorite Marvel series. It's a look at heroes/villains from a different perspective!


Honestly, I could go on like this forever. I think I have a nice little starting list here, so I'll stop now.  Do you read this kind of stuff, or are you more of a strictly words type? Clearly I love both. It's fun to have so many reading materials to choose from, switching it up according to how I'm feeling that day :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, love your list! Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome; I need to finish it. Glad to see another manga fan!
    Great post! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to finish it! It's so good. Hahah :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete