Monday, May 26, 2014

Armchair BEA - Introduction

Hey friends! So starting today and going through Saturday, I'll be taking part in the online book conference, Armchair BEA. What's that? It's for people that can't attend their conference in New York, BookExpo America, but still want to other people with likened interests. It runs simultaneously with the actual conference, so we can kind of pretend we're there (or just commiserate all at the same time).

Armchair BEA
Designed by Nina of "Nina Reads"

They've also given us daily topics to blog about, to get conversations going. I might not write each daily topic, but I'll still be participating in one way or another! Warning - if we're Twitter or Instagram friends I might get pretty annoying this week, hahah! Anyway, todays topic is for introductions! So let's get to it...

1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?

My name is Natalie, and I'm in California :) I've been blogging on and off for a looooong time, but I've been writing here at Natalie Patalie since February, 2013. I think in my teen years I started and stopped three blogs. I was weird. My first blog was dedicated to book reviews! I've always liked writing and journaling, but I didn't start to think seriously about blogging until I started finding other blogs I enjoyed reading. It was really cool to see these people sharing their interests, and the little communities they had grown that liked reading and talking about those interests just as much.

Me at the Sonoma County Book Festival a few years ago :)


2. What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ . 

I read a lot of historical fiction. In high school history wasn't really my thing, so I'm not sure how that happened. I guess I just don't like reading about lives too similar to mine. I love to read because it's a relaxing escape. You know those bookmarks and things you'd get from the library as a kid, with the children flying around in some fantasy land, and it says something like, "get swept away in a good book!" ...? That's me, but instead of a flying carpet or whatever, I'd be on a magical couch.

3. What was your favorite book read last year? What’s your favorite book so far this year? 

My favorite book I read last year was Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. If you had asked me about it when I first started reading the book, my answer would have been different. It started off as a hard book to read, and I had trouble getting into it. It took me awhile, but I kept going and I'm so glad I did. It's also one of my favorite movies! As for this year I haven't read anything I'd call a favorite yet, unfortunately. I just started reading The Night Circus, though, and it's supposed to be really good!

Cloud Atlas
via Google Images


4. What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like? 

My ideal reading space is big and spacious, with lots of blankets, pillows and/or plushies for me to flop around in. Having all my my books surrounding me in a plus. Something like this would be great.

via Tumblr


I also really like this giant Totoro...thing? Would you call this a bed, or a futon? Or maybe it's like a giant bean bag chair.

Totoro
via Tumblr

5. Spread the love by naming your favorite blogs/bloggers (doesn’t necessarily have to be book blogs/bloggers). 

If I listed all of my favorite blogs we'd be here awhile, but I CAN tell you my favorite book blog - Book Snob!






    22 comments:

    1. HI! Hope you have a great week!
      Have you read any Michelle Moran's books? I really enjoyed her historical fiction.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi! No, I haven't read her yet. I guess I'll have to change that, thanks! My favorite is Lisa See :)

        Delete
    2. I never cared for history in school either. It was just a boring list of dates and events. But historical fiction is all about the *stories,* about people living in history. I've found the good non-fiction does that too.

      Oh man, the bed nook would be awesome for reading.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are so right! And yes, I love the bed nook, though I'd probably fall asleep reading in it a lot, hahah!

        Delete
    3. I love the reading space pictures. Of course, if those wee books instead of bricks, I might really be in love. You know, I actually thought back and I probably started blogging way before I think I did. I used to post some of my writing and random thoughts on Myspace. But the book blogging bug didn't hit me until much later.

      Lisa @Just Another Rabid Reader

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ah, MySpace days!! I hadn't thought about that. Now that you mention it I think I was doing that too, hahah.

        Delete
    4. Those book nooks look lovely! Looking forward to a great week.
      Meaghan -- http:/mwgerard.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. I LOVE historical fiction as well. I highly recommend Sharon Kay Penman if you haven't tried her works. I started with Sunne in Splendour and think it's a good spot to start. She is so freaking great.

      I also, of course, love the Hilary Mantel duo that's won the Booker the last few years running.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I think I'll go check if the library has those right now! I'm always on the lookout for new reads.

        Delete
    6. Great to meet you, Natalie! I love that reading space with all the pillows. I'm less sure about the giant Totoro -- I'm not sure I want to read on something that has eyes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nice to meet you, too! Thanks for stopping by. You make a good point about the eyes. From afar I think they look cute, but now I'm imagining myself waking up with a giant eye staring at me, hahah!

        Delete
    7. Hi Natalie, what a fun picture that is of reading in Sonoma. Did you get to the event yourself? I'm off to a literary festival here in the UK this weekend - only the second time I;ve done this and I'm ridiculously excited!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Yes, that's me in the picture at the festival! We had a great time. Have fun at your event! It's so fun to go places and meet so many like-minded people, like, "Wow, these people really GET me!" Hahah :)

        Delete
    8. I liked history in school, but I really love historical fiction. I think it's a fun way to learn about different time periods in a less painful way, but it's also interesting to see that people are people whether they are in ancient Rome or Victorian England. Hope you have fun with Armchair BEA.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I do like it so far, just getting the hang of things. Historical fiction is definitely a much less painful way of learning. I was homeschooled and we were always looking for more creative ways to learn, hahah!

        Delete
    9. I would gladly curl up with a book and that Totora thingy! It looks super snuggly.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Love that first reading space... pretty! Great to meet you, hope you enjoyed ABEA!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I did, great to meet you too!

        Delete