Friday, April 18, 2014

Three Favorites (on Friday) - Musicals!

Happy Friday!

Today I've had show tunes stuck on my mind. This isn't really abnormal, although today it was a bit more intrusive than usual. Could it be because the Tony Awards are coming up? Ok, I guess they're not that soon - but when you work in theatre these are the things that come up, even when they're still 50 days away. Do you watch the Tony's? Obviously I'm biased, but I think they're fun to watch even if you aren't obsessed with theatre. Plus Hugh Jackman is hosting, so there's that.

Anyway, today I felt like sharing my top three favorite musicals. I am THE WORST at making decisions so please know that picking a top three is tearing me apart. And these might not be my top three next week. I don't know. I'M SORRY. So let's try this out.


3. Phantom of the Opera Cliche, I know, but what can I say. It's the longest running Broadway show for a reason! I won't go into plot details because I'm sure you already know what it's about. My favorite version of this is the 25th Anniversary at Royal Albert Hall. It's on DVD and I definitely recommend checking it out, or you can watch a sliiiightly blurrier version for free [here!] It stars the beautiful Sierra Boggess and dreamy Ramin Karimloo. I guess he isn't too dreamy in his Phantom garb, but just take my word for it. Or better yet, look him up. He hasn't figured out that we're destined to be together, but I can wait. Here's a clip from the show, of a song we all know:



Ugh, so good. And did you know that Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote a sequel? It's called Love Never Dies, and while its been thrown some shade, I actually quite like it. It's pretty different from the original Phantom of the Opera, so go in with an open mind and everything will be ok. Unfortunately, the DVD of it does not star Ramin Karimloo (sads), because for some reason someone thought the best idea was to film the Australian tour. HOWEVER, he IS the Phantom on the cast recording CD, so there's that. [This] is my favorite song in Love Never Dies. Swoon. Alright, moving on...


2. Beauty and the Beast It's my favorite Disney movie, too! Even though I've always loved the movie, I think it's one of my favorite musicals because it's the first "big" performance I went to see. I don't even remember how long ago it was, but I saw it with a friend at the San Francisco Orpheum. I was already in love with theatre and musicals by then, but I had never seen a theatre as big and grand as the Orpheum! Check out this medley they did for the 1994 Tony Awards. My favorite part is when they start singing "Be Our Guest," and the dishes start dancing, hahah :) Hokey? Maybe a little. Fun and amazing? YES.





1. Starlight Express IT'S TRUE. This is my all-time favorite musical, and while my second and third favorites may change, this one is always on top. If you're a theatre person reading this, I know you're shaking your head at me. I can't help it, it's so fun! They're trains! On roller skates! I also love Thomas the Tank Engine, so these feelings might all be connected. Since this show isn't as well known, I'll give you the lowdown. Starlight Express is a rock musical (also by Andrew Lloyd Webber!) that tells the story of a child's dream of his train set coming to life. We don't actually see this kid, because it's all about the trains, who are performers on roller skates. The trains are all together to take part in a competition to become the "Fastest Engine in the World." They couldn't come up with a better title than that? Ah, well. I'm probably losing you already, because when I read back at what I just wrote I want to vomit at all the hokeyness. But really, it was the most fun I've ever had at a live performance. The skating/dancing is really cool, and the lights make you feel like you're at a disco. And while it's not the longest running musical (hello, Phantom), it at least makes [this] list at #5. Also, people in Germany are in love with it. Maybe Germany is where I belong, because I haven't met anyone in the US that does. To prove the US/Germany ratio on this, I couldn't even find a decent video to post here, because all the good ones were in GERMAN. I'm feeling kind of embarrassed now, so it's a good thing this post is about wrapped up. I'll just show you a picture.

Starlight Express
I had to shrink it to make it fit; click if you want a closer look :)
This is what the trains looked like when I saw it, which feels like a hundred years ago (it was maybe eight years ago?) They all look different because they're different types of trains. For example, the red, blue and silver one is supposed to look futuristic, because he's an electric train which is considered very new and modern in the story. The one in the middle is a retired train, so he looks more rugged.

Now I'm questioning myself as to why I thought writing this was an OK idea. Ah well, no use turning back now, hahah.

So there are my top 3 favorite musicals. I think writing lists is fun, and since I'm so terrible at making decisions, sometimes it's fun to force myself into picking a top 3. Maybe I'll do more lists like this in the future? I have lots of favorite things (books, movies, foods, anything)! I also have just as many least favorite things (dogs, cottage cheese, shoes in general). I could go on like this forever.

Do you have a favorite musical? I want to know!

23 comments:

  1. I'm here for the #SITSSharefest. I enjoyed Evita, and Les Miserables at the theater, and Annie and Mamma Mia on the screen. I clicked through to bloglovin and followed you there. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Followed you back :) I also love Evita and Les Miserables! Les Mis almost made it on my list!

      Delete
  2. As I read this I am listening to Jesus Christ Superstar! LOL. I saw an amazing Godspell last week. I also like A Tale of Two Cities, Les Miserables and Chess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you commented saying you're watching Jesus Christ Superstar, while you were talking to me on FB chat about how you were watching Jesus Christ Superstar, hahah. I almost put Tale of Two Cities on this list. It was really hard!

      Delete
  3. My favorite musicals are Avenue Q, The Rock of Ages, and Wicked :) Love your picks as well!

    ~Zhenya
    http://beingzhenya.com
    Stopping by from SITS Share Fest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE all of those! Although Rock of Ages I only saw the movie of, but I thought it was really fun!

      Delete
  4. Love this post!!!!! I agree that the 25th anniversary version of Phantom is the BEST!! I love the 10th anniversary version of Les Mis with Colm Wilkinson. Love Rent, Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita....I LOVE all musicals <3 <3
    I am going to listen to Beauty and the Beast now, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :D I love the 10th anniversary Les Mis - I have it on VHS, hahah! I also like Rent, Jesus Christ Superstar (watched it on Easter!) and Evita ;) I think I like 90% of musicals. Maybe another time I'll write about the few musicals I hate, hahah.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up to Manic Mondays!

    ♥Emma
    www.itsemmaelise.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Natalie, I think this is my new favorite blog! I am a wanna-be theatre tech, trying to eat healthy & am a lifestyle blogger as well =D I love your 3 choices, that is not easy to choose, girl & you got me thinking of mine, if forced to choose--I am thinking: Wicked, Guys & Dolls & Company :) What aspect of theatre do you work on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaat! I've been working in theatre tech for six years! We're obviously meant to be friends. Thank you so much! :D

      Delete
    2. P.S. - I followed you on Bloglovin'/FB/Instagram, I'm not creepy I promise! :3

      Delete
  7. OMG nooo! I've been blogging for 2 years now, & I love stalkers & readers who follow me on my platforms :) Hehe. Whereabouts are you in CA? I am in LA, & been on a B&B binge since reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bay Area! Right in between SF and Sac! A friend of mine just started a Facebook group for bloggers in California, you should join us! We're still a small group, but we're nice :) Linky: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1414426808825170/?ref=br_tf

      Delete
    2. OMG rad!! Will do and I love SanFran so much :)

      Delete
  8. My favorite musical has to be Rent or Sound of Music :) Haven't been to a Broadway play in years, but I used to love to. I love your choices of musicals as well... Beauty & the Beast is magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Rent, but for the life of me I can't make it through The Sound of Music! Did you watch the new one that was on TV? I considered watching it but I heard very mixed reviews!

      Delete
  9. My husband and I love Phantom of the Opera! Thank you for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phantom's the best! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I think I've only ever seen one musical, The Lion King when I was in London years ago. All I can remember from it was that it was so long. Haha, maybe I'm not a musical kind of person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, hahah. That's ok, at least the one musical you saw was a really great one! I've always wanted to see Lion King :)

      Delete
  11. I love lists! I haven't seen any of these musicals, but my top pick would be Beauty and the Beast! Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete