Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Precautions (a rant)

So you know how at the end of my last 100 Happy Days post I wrote about something not so happy going on?

This is what my life revolves around right now:


If you don't know what's going on here, consider yourself lucky.

So when Andrew and I came home from spending Easter at my families house, there was a note on our door. It was from the woman in the apartment directly above us, asking to call her when we got home. We'd never really spoken with this woman aside from brief hellos, so we were already pretty confused. We called her up, and it was very loud in the background, as she was at the laundromat. Turns out, she wanted to give us a heads up that she and TWO MORE apartments upstairs have BEDBUGS.

BEDBUGS.

Before I go any further, let me point out that there are still NO BEDBUGS in my home. I've never seen a bedbug in person before, but my mind flashed back to a news special I watched years ago about bedbugs in hotels. It was pretty terrifying. I also have a huge irrational fear of things I'm not familiar with, so even the thought of getting bedbugs is one of the worst things that could happen to me.


bedbugs


Clearly, I take this shit very seriously, and will continue to take preventative measures until the upstairs problem is taken care of. BEDBUGS ARE NO JOKE, OK. If I had my way, the apartment would have been bombed already. Unfortunately that costs $700 that I don't have, especially for some bedbugs that aren't even here. Until then, my home will continue to have this strange aroma of rubbing alcohol mixed with dryer sheets. Mmm, fresh.

Anyway, today I learned that after much harassing, the tenants upstairs were able to get our landlord to have someone come inspect the building...on Friday. We've all had trouble with the landlord in the past, so sadly, this isn't too surprising. All I hope is that the situation is contained before it's too late.

Wish me luck, friends.

12 comments:

  1. Bedbugs are definitely worth freaking out over. They ruined a holiday my friends and I had in Montreal. Hopefully they stay contained until someone comes and nukes them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry about your vacation! Yes, I definitely think they're a big deal. Some of the people I've told in person don't seem to understand. They're like, "What? Aren't they just like fleas?" Well, kind of, but WORSE! Hahah.

      Delete
  2. I, like you, have never seen a bed bug in person and would definitely like to keep it that way!! I'm not to sure how I would react. I can't stand bugs. And if they have wings, definitely move out the way cause I'm so gone. Hope you never have to deal with them. Stay pro-active!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first reaction was to MOVE! I even looked up rental listings that night! Couldn't find anything available + in my price range though, so here I am, hahah. Luckily they DON'T have wings!

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I HATE bugs in general and I would be terrified at the chance of getting bed bugs so I feel for you! I was thinking as I read this that your landlord should have to pay to get rid of them. From what I remember reading about bedbugs in the past, you might never see them but you'd wind up with bites or something (not sure if they itch or hurt or what but I am pretty sure they leave marks). So if you don't have that, you are probably good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to find out if my landlord needs to pay for them. She is saying that bedbugs are something people bring in themselves, which I guess they usually are. But if I get them because of someone upstairs, I shouldn't have to pay for it! I guess we'll see! I don't have any bite-looking things yet, so that's good!

      Delete
  4. BLEH! That must have been so much fun hearing that news from your neighbor. It makes me itch just thinking about it! I'd be just like you wanting to get out of there or nuke the whole place. I have no idea how to get rid of bed bugs and have never seen one...rubbing alcohol and dryer sheets do it? (putting it into my memory bank for future bed bug annihilation should I need it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I've been feeling all weird and itchy since then too! Hahah I know I haven't been bitten yet but just thinking about it makes me feel icky! Rubbing alcohol kills them + the eggs, and they're supposedly attracted to the sheets, so you're supposed to line your bed in them!

      Delete
  5. Good luck girl!!! Never had them but always worry about them! Hopefully they stay away! Thanks for linking up with me today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks! And thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  6. Yuck!!! I had to worry about them earlier this year when a kid in my class came to school telling me they have them. Bed bugs and lice...just thinking about them make my skin crawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Good thing you dodged it. I've never had to worry about lice yet, but the thought definitely freaks me out! Just bugs in general kind of freak me out hahah.

      Delete