Friday, January 31, 2014

This Month in Natiland (January in Review)


I still feel weird writing "2014," but here we are, the first month of it over! Sigh. Annnyway...I thought it might be fun to start recapping things I've been interested in/up to as each month goes by. I may or may not keep doing this all year? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

What I've been reading:
This month I read "Gone Girl," by Gillian Flynn. Basically, it's about this woman, Amy, that goes missing. It's narrated by both her (in journal entries) and her husband, Nick (in the present). Nick's storytelling doesn't quite add up to the reader, and the police are also starting to think he's to blame. So you spend the book wondering if this asshole Nick guy murdered his wife or not. This book has been very popular as of late, but I have to say I wasn't very impressed. I mean, it was ok, but the ending kind of sucked, and I didn't like any of the characters. If you're interested, save your money and borrow it from your library. The movie will be out later this year. I'll probably watch it when I can borrow the DVD, just because Neil Patrick Harris is in it. SPOILER: Everyone in this book is an asshole. Even the Neil Patrick Harris character (sad).


Gone Girl Gillian Flynn book cover


What I've been watching:
At the beginning of the month, Andrew and I started watching "Dexter." Yeah, late in the game, I know. Better late than never. Dexter has been around awhile now, so I'm going to assume you know what it's about. We've only made it through the first season and half of the second. So far, I think I like it. Dexter himself is a likable guy, aside from the killing thing. But just because he's likable doesn't make him or his actions ok. Honestly, I'm still conflicted about it. A story arc in season two was making me a little ragey (coughLILAcough), but I'm starting to have faith that it will turn out ok and I'll move on to season 3.


Dexter


Something new I did: Last Saturday I started using a fitness app called Noom Weight Loss Coach. This is the closest thing to a "diet" I've ever done, so that in and of itself is new. So yeah, I need to lose some weight. I'm not obese (yet) but I've definitely put my health on the back burner, and it shows. I have no experience with other fitness apps, but I assume it's similar. You use it to log everything you eat, and it keeps track of the calories along with your calorie allowance for the day. Your calorie allowance is based on your current weight and fitness level. You can also log your exercise, and your calorie allowance will adjust itself depending on what you did that day. It's incredibly simple to use, which I love. I know an embarrassingly small amount about reading and understanding food labels and portion sizes, but this makes it easier, and I'm learning lots of new things in the process. When I started, I vowed not to check my weight again until I consistently used Noom for a week, which will be tomorrow. I'm actually excited to weigh in tomorrow, though I'm not entirely confidant that the number will have dropped. Part of that is because I do alot of weight training - which is GREAT for your body (and important for weight loss), but muscle weighs more than fat so it can get a little confusing. Thinking back, I should have taken body measurements when I started. Guess I'll do that tomorrow, too.




What I'm playing: As you already know, I've been playing a lot of Saints Row IV. I'm happy to report that it is still awesome. Aside from that, I've also been playing "The Stanley Parable." This was a game my younger brother and I both wanted, so last month when he found it for sale on Steam (I'm telling you Steam is THE BEST), we decided to buy it for each other for Christmas. "The Stanley Parable" is an extremely bizarre game. I honestly don't know how to explain it. I suggest watching this trailer, although that doesn't do a great job explaining it, either. Playing this game is such a trip. I have literally felt like I was going crazy while playing because of some of the things that happen. Sorry this sounds cryptic but I just DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. If you have an account on Steam (winkwink) you can play a free demo. Lastly (I've had a weird amount of free time this month ok), I recently started playing "Diablo III." However, I'm still a noob with that, so I'll talk about it another time.


The Stanley Parable


I guess that wraps it up! Everything else of note that happened this month I've already written about, like when I went to the Star Wars exhibit, getting my windows punched out by some loser (they have since been fixed), and getting my awesome fake Jump From Paper bag.

Next time I write, it'll be February! See ya next month? Hah.

3 comments:

  1. Found you on SITS girls and am enjoying your blog!

    But bb: muscle weighs the same as fat. It's just DENSER. It also requires more calories to maintain than fat does, so if you trade in 5 lbs of fat for 5 lbs of muscle, you will be a little smaller, volume-wise, AND you will have a slightly higher basal metabolic rate. Plus, weight training is super good for us ladies as it keeps us from getting osteoporosis in our old age. (It might also reduce our chances of heart disease and Type II diabetes.)

    tl;dr: don't stop weight training! It doesn't make you weigh more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine! I'm still trying to figure out how SITS girls works (hahah), but the fact that you even checked out my blog makes me so happy!

      No worries, I absolutely LOVE weight training! Although the app I'm using does make it a little confusing. It seems more focused on cardio and how small I can make the number on the scale. I didn't know all those other facts, though - that's really cool! Thanks for filling me in ;)

      Delete