Friday, January 24, 2014

It's Time to Talk about Saints Row Again

 Yep!

Guess who finally has Saints Row IV? Happy happy. Saints Row IV was released back in the summer; but as much as I love Saints Row, I love not spending $60 on a game even more. The Yeti and I were able to pick this up during the Christmas Steam sales for $20, which is probably the lowest it'll get for quite awhile. Everyone already knows how much I loved Saints Row III, so how does this one hold up?

Saints Row IV
(My current desktop wallpaper #noshame)

This installment takes place five years after the previous game. You're still leader of the Third Street Saints, and uh...you're President of the United States, and have renamed the White House the White Crib (because obviously). What really separates this from the previous Saints Row is the sci-fi element. As you're on your way to a press conference, the party's interrupted by alien invaders blasting off the roof of the White Crib. Their leader, Zinyak captures you and all your homies (you'll recognize them all from the previous games - who were also promoted to cabinet members), and trapping you in a simulation he's created. Each of your homies are trapped in their own personal simulations, so it's your job to save your friends and escape the simulation. Thanks to Kinzie, you also have SUPERPOWERS! So that's cool.

Personal opinion time.

- The alien/superpower aspect of the game is fun, but it really sets it apart from the other games in the series. I used to see Saints Row as a better, funnier rival to Grand Theft Auto. Now, if I only compared it with this installment I'd find much less to compare. They're different. Obviously Saints Row is still better but you know.

- I think this game's a little harder than the previous one, not by much, but you'll notice. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that your health doesn't regenerate on its own anymore. I can't be the only one that'd have to run and hide behind a wall when my health was low, right? Right?!

- The character customization is exactly like it was in III, for the most part. I think they added a few more taunts to choose from. I wanted my character to look mostly the same as in III, but was a little disappointed to see that there wasn't really anything new.

- Lastly, this doesn't bother me too much, but I've noticed a lot of people are bothered by the car thing. You don't really need them in this one. Your speed run and superjump get you everywhere you need to go in half the time, and you don't need to worry about anything in your way. You can literally run and hop over buildings. Anyway, I guess some people liked collecting and customizing their cars. You can still do this in IV, but since you have no need for a car it kind of feels like a waste of time. My cars were never really important to me. I'd paint them a really obnoxious color so they'd be easier to find, and a tacky under glow because why not - but that's it. Listening to the car radio was fun, though - and those rare moments when a homie is in the car with you and you have a singalong were the best. That part I do miss. Buuut you do still have a radio which you can use all the time now, not just in a car.

That's all for now. The story is half the fun, and even though I'm 95% sure no one reading here cares about my Saints Row obsession, I'm not going to spoil the fun (just in case, I guess?) Also, I haven't finished the game yet.. I don't get to spend as much time playing it as I'd like. Anyway, here's my president. I modeled him after my Saints Row III character for continuities sake, but he wears a sweet purple suit since he's the president. Sorry it's dark; it's never daytime in the Steelport simulation!

Saints Row IV
I wear this sweet bandana because I'm on a RAMPAGE (like Rambo)

Saints Row IV Super Jump
Super jumpin' over Steelport.




No comments:

Post a Comment