Saturday, July 20, 2013

What I've been up to (in games)

Earlier this month the run of the show I was working on finished (finally), giving me a little extra time to catch up on some games...and also right on time for the Steam Summer Getaway Sale!

Since I have excellent taste in video games (this is a lie, but I love them so whatever), here's a little rundown on what I've been playing lately. Starting with the most important...

Dynasty Warriors 8 This is my favorite video game series ever and has been since...well, forever. I love a good hack-and-slash game, and I find the (albeit not entirely accurate) feudal China storyline really fun. My birthday is coming up, and as soon as I noticed this was available for pre-order and that the release date was exactly a week before my birthday, I lovingly informed The Yeti that this is what he would be getting me (<3). So when it came out four days ago we marched into GameStop the minute they opened and picked up my game. I would have insisted picking it up at midnight, but unfortunately there was no midnight release on this one. Ever since then I have spent most of my time rampaging through The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The only thing I don't like is that Xiahou Dun doesn't have Evil Long Haired Asian hair anymore.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Xiahou Dun
But he doesn't need long hair to still be the ultimate badass


Monaco: What's Yours is Mine I was lead towards this game by my younger brother. Last year The Yeti and I introduced him to the world of PC gaming and now he's showing me all sorts of stuff. Monaco is a heist game, sort of like if Clue was an action game where everyone is the bad guy. What really draws you into Monaco is the cast of characters (taken from the website):

Your Crew

The Locksmith: Blue-collar infiltration expert
The Lookout: She can see and hear everything... a natural leader
The Pickpocket: A hobo with a monkey and a penchant for crime
The Cleaner: A silent psychopath... John Wayne Gacy in pink
The Mole: Big and dumb... likes to tunnel
The Gentleman: He doesn't always wear a disguise, but when he does, he looks fantastic
The Hacker: Armies of viruses shut down security... a modern day warlock
The Redhead: Manipulative and murderous... a lady always gets what she wants

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine
Sneaky sneak...
From what it looks like, for ultimate enjoyment you'll want to play this on co-op, which I haven't done yet but I'm pretty excited. The beforementioned brother is on a camping trip, but when he's back you know I'll be bugging him to play with me. I bought this on the Steam sale. It's normally $20.00 but they had it for $7.00. Monaco is an indie game, and even if you don't have a good gaming computer setup it'll still probably work on your computer just fine.


Saints Row: The Third Saints Row is for those people that kiiinda like Grand Theft Auto, but secretly find it all pretty overrated. This game takes place in the fictional city of Steelport, where you are the leader of The Third Street Saints. Your wear a lot of purple and get into crazy and bizarre shenanigans as you work your way through gang wars. I don't really know how to explain it as it is COMPLETELY ridiculous and I promise it is different from every other game you've played. So just check it out ok? I also got this during the Steam sale on an AMAZING 8 hour flash sale. This game has been out for over a year, but if you go to GameStop or wherever it's still about $50.00. The other day I woke up for work at 3am and saw that I had less than ONE HOUR to get it on Steam for just $5.00. I'd be a fool to say no to a deal like that. I'd been wanting this game for a really long time, so I bought it on the spot as it took priority from getting ready for work.

Saints Row the Third Genki
Genki!


So that's me. Has anyone else been keeping their eye on Steam sales? The flash sales are always the best, but you need to act quick since they only last a couple hours. Personally I find it very overwhelming, but it's worth it so I deal. Yesterday I convinced my older brother to buy Torchlight II, as it was also on sale for $5.00, so he could get in on the action. The Yeti, my younger brother and I have have been playing Torchlight II co-op for a long time now and have been trying to convince him to join us ever since ;)

1 comment: