Wednesday, July 10, 2013

When a Regular Watermelon Just Isn't Enough

So, I know I just posted about the wine tasting, and I swear I don't spend every day drinking, but 4th of July just happened so I'm going to talk about my rum melon.

Basically, it's a watermelon filled with rum, all soaked up inside and delicious. The perfect summertime snack! I'd like to say there's some fun and cool DIY for this that will impress your friends at your next BBQ, but really it's just like this for a million hours:

rum melon

Just cut a hole in your melon (a few inches deep), get your favorite rum (I've read that people also use vodka, which I have not tried but sounds A+), prop it up nice and cozy, and wait. You want the watermelon to soak up as much of the rum as it can. When you notice it isn't taking any more of the rum, take the bottle out of the melon and put the melon in the fridge overnight. That's it! When you're ready to eat, just slice it up and eat it like you normally would.

This year Andrew and I went to my families house for a low key 4th of July BBQ. Bringing a rum melon was his idea after seeing it on Food Network or something. so I can't steal the credit. I also feel like a loser because I didn't even think to take pictures while we made it :(

Our melon didn't turn out perfect, but it was our first try and now we have a good excuse to try it again. It didn't soak up the rum all the way, so you could only taste the rum in parts of it, and the rest just tasted like normal watermelon. I know this because we ate the whole thing. So, problems:

First of all, the melon we picked was HUGE, which was not a good idea, now that I'm thinking about it. We used strawberry rum (which smelled amazing), but only a third of the bottle would go inside. I'm thinking the melon had too much of its own juice inside to begin with, so I think our downfall was not knowing how to pick a good watermelon. Bleh.

Next time we try, I think instead of slicing it up, I want to get a melon baller and make it all fancy and shit. Like this:

Classy.

So that was my 4th of July weekend. Did you have any weird/new/different/delicious things during yours? Would you be interested in trying a rum melon? Do you even like melons? (I only like watermelon! Honeydew and cantaloupe are gross.)

P.S! As I mentioned, I was dumb and didn't take any pictures. So these photos are not mine, nor do I want anyone to think they're mine.

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh that looks fun!

    I saw something recently about making watermelon slushies... The dude used some power tools and a hanger to go inside the watermelon via a hole he drilled, slushed everything up (no mess), then he did something to pour the slushies out after. I think that would be a great way to make rum watermelon slushies :) you could maybe freeze the slushies too? Haha sorry my brain is excited about all of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! That sounds amazing hahah. Shouldn't be too hard, either. I'll have to try that out this summer, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I've never thought of Rum... we've always used Rum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried it with Vodka, not very successful either. But did it get you tipsy at least?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! So at least that part worked out, hahah!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I have never seen such a thing before. I want to make one now! I so want to try this.

    Thanks for sharing! I'm visiting from SITS Throwback Thursday.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you via SITS. Who cares if this was one of your first posts. Loved it. I really want to make this now!!! I like rum better than vodka, too! Great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should try it, let me know how it goes! ;)

      Delete
  6. this is definitely a summer recipe for us to try at one of our many get togethers.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete