Friday, July 5, 2013

Castello di Amorosa (or, I Went to a Winery for the First Time & Forgot my ID)

This past weekend Andrew's family flew in for some family time and sightseeing (ooooh, alliteration!). In the middle of a heat wave. On their last day we went wine tasting in Napa at winery called Castle di Amorosa. It's an actual castle and is pretty badass.

Since Andrew and I had work later that evening, we started our adventure early. The original plan was to hit up three wineries, but the first one on the list wasn't open by the time we got there. I mean, I guess it makes sense to assume people aren't going wine tasting at 9am on a weekday. Luckily, the next (and most anticipated) stop was open.

Me with Andrew and his momma

So we get out of the car, snapped a few pictures (because did you LOOK at that place?), when I realized I probably shouldn't have forgotten my purse in the car, because my ID was in it. The chances of not being carded when your 5 feet tall is usually pretty slim. So I walk back to the car to grab it, only to find that I forgot my wallet at home. Because of COURSE I would forget my ID when going to a winery.


After a minute of panic, Andrew's mom fishes out a different ID of hers, "they won't even notice as long as you throw the right number of cards on the counter!" We look nothing alike, but what other option did I have? Home was an hour away. Fortunately, she was right. She threw down 5 ID's and I looked the other way, you know, all nonchalant and chill.

The tour was mostly in their underground cellar (complete with torture chamber, obvi), where it was a natural 58 degrees. After our tour was when the drinking began, and, well, I'm not really a wine person. I'm more of a "this fruity thing filled with triple sec sounds good" person. We tried about ten different wines and I liked two of them, bringing one bottle home. I also understand the whole eating chocolate with your wine thing, now.

Castello di Amorosa is very huge and incredibly beautiful. It's too bad that it was 108 degrees outside, otherwise we would have explored a lot more of it. I guess there's always next time?


No comments:

Post a Comment